Should 2nd. Buyer Receive Guarantee ?

Some manufacturers like Cary an CJ to name two make great stuff but they refuse to honor any remaining warrantee to 2ed. buyer. I think that sucks ! It certainly reduces the potential selling price for anyone wishing to sell relatively new stuff. Does this upset anyone else or do you think it is justified ?
stokjoc
It's their money, their company and their reputation and it's up to them (the manufacturer's). More important to me is, that if I have a warranty, how the service is, if needed. I seem to have read a lot of horror stories about products under warranty. I have had excellent service (small things, but nonetheless) from Castle Acoustics (UK, binding posts), Bel Canto Designs (repair of a solder connection) and Studio Tech (some small parts for my equipment rack). Service for some of the other items that I own or have owned in the past has been no more pleasant than having a root canal. A piece of paper, though comforting, does not always tell the whole story. Because of this I value the comments of the users at this site. My two bits, anyway.
once again, this is a legal question wrapped in marketing considerations. there is no federal requirement for warrantors to transfer warranties to secondary, tertiary, etc. purchasers of any product, of which i'm aware. moreover, despite the urban myths to the contrary, there is no federal or state requirement for manufacturers to maintain an inventory of repair or replacement parts for any product for any period. if you are concerned about the transferability of warranties, make your inquiries when they count, before purchase. otherwise, expect warranties NOT to be transferable, which is frequently if not usually the case. -kelly
The manufacturer should back up their product regardless of who uses it at the time it requires service. When the unit is produced there is a serial number assigned to it, they know how old the unit is. By not supporting warranty claim to a secondary owner they are shirking their responsibilities and using a loophole to overcharge for repair work that really is caused by premature failure and morally should be repaired and returned with an apology. I consider this good business practice. Kelly is likely accurate in his response, BUT, it doesn't make it right nor should we as consumers accept it. This stuff costs too much to accept anything but top-notch service. Being in the semiconductor business for 18 years, if the part fails it's replaced immediately at no charge. A thorough failure analysis of the failed device is performed and a detailed report provided, at no cost to the customer. Why would we allow the integrators of integrated circuits (audio manufacturers) to offer anything less than the parts suppliers they deal with? Best, Jeff