Sound through Macbook vs DAC

I have been pondering how much to spend on a DAC. But unlike normal circumstances, its not becuase I cannot decide on a model, its becuase my Macbook sounds really good even with out one! I hooked up my Dads marantz CD player for comparison. The CD player was much brighter than my Macbook, even though I had it connected with a radioshack cable. Does every computer sound really good or do Apples sound a bit better straight from the card. I relized that a DAC will increase sound stage, dynamics, and transparency, but is it worth the 2000 dollars for a bel canto? My set up includes Totem Model 1's and a Classe 151 amp. Thanks
macd
Hi, Buy your self the new emmLabs DAC 2 CD/SACD (If Budget Allows).
Cheers Jason.
www.parmentersound.com

emmLabs DAC 2
emmLabs DAC2 AUDIO CONVERTER for CD/SACD & DSD.

The DAC2 is a high-performance stereo D/A converter with a wide variety of user selectable digital inputs.

It has evolved from EMM Labs acclaimed converter systems which are used worldwide in professional studios to create some of the finest recordings.

The DAC2 provides conversion from a wide variety of digital input formats, including USB Audio for computers, media systems and digital audio playback machines making it an extremely flexible converter system that can act as a standalone conversion hub to a host of digital sources.

The DAC2 has:
* EMM Labs proprietary internal MDAT algorithm to up-sample and condition digital audio to twice the SACD/DSD sample rate.

* Ed Meitners proprietary discrete Dual Differential DAC circuit.

* Uses our exclusive aerospace grade composite laminate circuit boards.

The DAC2, when paired with an EMM Labs transport, performs as an unparalleled CD/SACD playback system.

Features & Specifications 2-Channel D/A conversions:

* from PCM (44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz) to analog
* from DSD to analog Supported digital input formats:
* AES/EBU (1 connector)
* SPDIF (Coax)
* Two Optical TOSLink SPDIF
* EMM OptiLink
* USB Audio Analog outputs and impedances
* Balanced on XLR (100)
* Unbalanced on RCA (50)

User selectable levels:
Low position:
* XLR outputs: 4V (+14.38dBu)
* RCA outputs: 2V (+8.353dBu)

High position:
* XLR outputs: 7.2V (+19.38dBu)
* RCA outputs: 3.6V (+13.34dBu)

* Factory set to 100V or 115V or 230V, 50/60Hz operation
* Power consumption: 50W
* Remote control: Infrared
* Dimensions W x D x H: 435 x 400 x 92mm
* Weight: 12kg

The emmLabs DAC2 is controlled by an internal processor that can be programmed with software to enhance or add new features for future upgrades.
So, jasonparmenter, does budget allow? How much would my budget have to be to buy me

the new emmLabs DAC 2 CD/SACD (If Budget Allows)
?
Since nobody mentioned it, RWA Isabellina NOS non-upsampling, non-oversampling DAC for $2500 or $1500 option for Isabella preamp.
I am not what you might call "DAC expert" but after hearing quite a few fine DACs lately, I believe that Isabella is on par or above competition......at least in its asking price range.
I can not recommend it or guaranty that it will be to your taste ....but if digital reproduction shortcomings like edginess and lock of body/emotions are what stopped you from enjoying your favorite music, I would at least give it a shot with 30 days money back warranty.

There are probably better choices out there but I would seriously doubt if I could afford it.
After a long while, I am starting to enjoy my digital ones again.
If that isn't the the sign of a really great product, I do not know what is.

Mariusz
Tobias

if you have to ask.....

"jasonparmente" note should have begun with "Now a word from our sponsor..."
Lol. BTW that Jason guy is a NZ distributor... not much use to us on this side of the world. Anyway couldn't actually find anywhere to buy the EMM online yet, after a very brief Google search, but a post on head-fi put the price at $9000.

Could the OP perhaps throw out a target price range since this thead is all over the map.