Suggested speakers to take the place of Dunlavy

Hi,

Much as I hate to do this, it is time to give up on the dream of getting into some Dunlavy speakers. I've tried buyi8ng a couple pairs now, and the shippers have wrecked both. I have decided that I need to get a speaker from a manufacturer that's still in business.

I am looking for something with a similar sound to the dunlavy line--my big interests for a speaker are as follows--very detailed above all else, but with good tonal balance. I like a very quick bass and smooth highs. The best speaker I ever heard to my taiste was the Dunlavy SC-V driven with a Pass labs x350. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Roland
Ag insider logo xs@2xrnbowers
This thread at another forum may be of interest to you, VMPS RM-40 owners: Before you bought your RM-40..What other speakers did you compare them to? http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=5521

Dave
A lot of good suggestions above. You might also consider trying Duntechs, which are similar in design to the Dunlavy's (same designer, similar design principles)--just not easy getting them in certain parts of the world. The Sovereign 2001 is roughly the same frequency response and size as the SC V, although it is a little warmer-sounding than the SC V and it needs an amplifier that can control its bass drivers to match the bass speed of the Dunlavy design. A great speaker for listening to music, although not everyone's cup of tea. Also, you might try one of the larger Dynaudio speakers, particularly the Evidence Temptations, which are superb speakers--they can give you that "big" sound that Dunlavy and Duntech speakers can.
Roland,

Sorry to hear that you've had shipping problems but if you like the Dunlavy, I wouldn't give up because of shipping problems. Obviously I'm biased as I have a pair of Alethas, an SM-I and a pair of SCI-AVs. The Alethas ship in crates, not cardboard so I'd imagine the bigger SC series do as well. I would have thought they could handle the shipping.

I also own a pair of Vandersteen 2C's. In fact, the Alethas replaced the 2C's in my house (the Vandersteens have been relegated to my lake home). To me, the Aletha's were a huge step up from the 2C's. Before I bought the Alethas, I auditioned the Vandersteen Model 3. In my opinion, the Model 3 is better than the Model 2 but was no match for the Aletha. I felt the Aletha imaged much better than the Vandersteen and conveyed a better sense of dynamics. (I can understand Ejlif's comments about the AvanteGarde as nothing compares to the dynamics of a horn.) I did get to hear the Model 5 but I would be surprised if it sounded much better than the Model 3 in the mids/highs, as I believe the Model 5 is basically the same as the Model 3 but augmented with the built-in subwoofer.

I don't know where you live but there are a fair number of Dunlavy speakers being shopped around. If you're looking at the SC-V, they are massive and will cost a bundle to ship. If it were me and I really wanted the Dunlavy, I'd look to find a pair within a day's driving distance and pick them up myself. It may cost a few dollars more than straight shipping, but that's incremental when compared to the cost of the speakers. (There's 2 pair for sale here on the 'Gon right now; one in Colorado the other in Georgia.)

I'm not knocking Vandersteen. I have tremendous respect for Vandersteen, their cost/performance, and like I said I'm an owner of them. In fact, I'm toying with selling my Velodyne sub in favor of a pair of Vandersteen 2wQ subs. (My wife doesn't like the black Velodyne, so I'm thinking I have a window of opportunity here!) Good luck whatever you decide.

Best regards,
Dave
Dunlavy was on my short list to replace Apogee Duettas when they went out of business.
I ended up with the Green Mountain Audio Continuum 2i which I felt compared well with the Dunlavy 4 at less money, but i never got to the hear the Aletha. A 2nd choice wound have been the Vandersteeen 3a but they would have needed more amp power.
I also liked the Dunlavy V, and owned Dunlavy Alethas for a while but sold them in favor of Genesis V, obviously a different technology and sound, especially in the space and air departments. If you're interested I gave my comparative impressions at AudioAsylum a couple years back:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=speakers&n=23256&highlight=aletha&r=&session=

Later sold the Genesis for Talon Khorus. The Khorus are different sounding than either, but meet, I think, your objectives of tight, tuneful, extended bass coupled with a smooth treble. Good detail is also there, but never in-your-face. Generally warmer and less dry than the Dunlavys, and easier with placement requirements.

Just another suggestion. Ultimately you'll have to listen for yourself.