The Best Amplifier Ever ?

OK, let's get the straight scoop! Stereophile reviewers want to push the Halcro dm58 (and presumably the dm68) into a newly formed A+ category because it is the best amplifier ever. For a moment, let's assume something like a "best" can exist, at least for one person at a time. Is this the end for all other amps in the proximate price range? Paul Bolin used words like "jaw dropping" and "utter disbelief" -- Oh I know that journalists like that kind of thing, but Mr. Bolin basically says that nothing else comes close to comparison. No contest. Not in the same league. Even in Stereophile, I can't recall something quite that glowing (except maybe for the Boulder 2008 phono preamp). What do you think?
ozfly
Zaikesman, I used both of those amps back in high school with my band, I second your nominations, deleted though they may be from the rankings! Always liked that Ampeg...
I stand for ORPHEUS headphone system amp with ear-speakers that no amp/speaker combo can beat under any circuimstances.
i had the Halcro DM-58 in my room last year for 3 days and was very impressed. it was the fastest, most detailed, most transparent and most extended top to bottom amplifier i have heard. it had seemingly unlimited dynamics and excellent bass slam. i could easily understand how someone might feel it was the best out there if those things were most important to that listener. it was not edgy and had no obvious shortcomings......but.....compared to my then resident Levinson #33's it was lacking in weight and body. i didn't get the feeling of ease and naturalness that the #33 gave me. between the 2 amps it would have been a tough choice.....and i could have bought the Halcro for less than i could have sold the #33's for at that time.

i have since found more satisfaction with OTL tubes; which offer most of the attributes of the Halcro and Levinson but are much more involving to me.

the whole idea of "the best amplifier ever" is miss-guided to me. amps need to be matched to speakers to be properly judged. even then "the room" is a big issue.

i do think "my favorite amp ever" or "the best amp i have heard" would be more reasonable ways to rave IMHO. however, i can understand that "the BEST Amplifier EVER?" might sell more magazines.
Thanks Mike. It's great to hear an analyis from someone outside the press who has compared "The BEST amp EVER" to another great amp. Obviously, the Halcro is top notch but, as I interpret your assessment, there are trade-offs among amps and the ultimate choice becomes a matter of personal preferences. I'd love to hear from others who have auditoned or purchased the 58 or 68. What's great? What's maybe a bit of a trade off? For everyone else, what makes a great amp in your mind (or ears)? Thanks.