Threshold S500/II vs Mark Levinson ML3

I'm looking for advice from anyone that has experience or knowledge with these 2 vintage amps.  I currently have the Threshold fed by a Parasound P5 preamp and am using B&W 802 S2 speakers.  To me, it sounds great but I've recently been looking for a possible change.   I have access to a decently priced, local ML3.  The ML is a beast and is capable of driving 2 ohm loads easily. 

I'm curious what the differences would be.  Also, at some point in the near future I may change speakers, and thought it would be nice to have an amp that is capable of driving anything out there.  The ML is all original.

Thanks!
dastro
Always best to listen to an amp/speaker combo before making a decision, but you knew that. I like the old Threshold products (especially the SA series). I would not consider moving to a ML amp (except the old ML 2) anything but a lateral move. But that is just  my humble opinion.

Now to something more pratical. Both amps are approaching the time when they will need to be re-capped (if not already done). Check out who would do this and how much it will cost. 

Personally, I'd pass on the opportunity to get the ML and wait until you get new speakers. Who knows, your next speakers might be happy with 25wts or less and the sweetest SS amps aren't necessarily the highest powered ones, just the most expensive. :-)
Your current amp is a much better match for your speakers. But if it was my system, I would upgrade speakers first. The 802's are a disaster. Whatever components you match to them will most likely sound very different on new speakers.
A long time ago I was the original owner of a pair of ML-2's and a ML-3 which ran the bass panels for my Tympani 4's. My opinion was the ML-2's were great amps for many situations. The 3 I would only use for low end power use. My recollection was it's performance was not real musical with a poor top end using it full range, but maybe it was just a system mismatch. If you are still considering the 3 I would strongly urge an audition if possible.
Good luck
Your current amp is a much better match for your speakers. But if it was my system, I would upgrade speakers first. The 802's are a disaster. Whatever components you match to them will most likely sound very different on new speakers.
Yea, I really like the Threshold, but sometimes I just like experimenting, especially at reasonable prices.  I'm probably going to pass on the ML.    I"m not sure how the 802's you listened to were set up, but mine in my room with my equipment are sheer bliss. 
A long time ago I was the original owner of a pair of ML-2's and a ML-3 which ran the bass panels for my Tympani 4's. My opinion was the ML-2's were great amps for many situations. The 3 I would only use for low end power use. My recollection was it's performance was not real musical with a poor top end using it full range, but maybe it was just a system mismatch. If you are still considering the 3 I would strongly urge an audition if possible.
Good luck
Thanks for the insight, you are not the first person to describe the 3 this way.  I've also been thinking about pulling the trigger on a Krell FPB200 or 300 as well, thinking that would be the last amp I will ever need.  But of course, I said that about my Threshold.