To Sub or not to Sub...?

...Or to buy best full range speakers i can afford? For listening classical music.
tinfoil26929
Well,I took the plunge! My third sub / not the sandwich/ I previously had a Velodyne and an Infinity. I got the REl storm 3. I got mine from a dealer. Got all the advice I needed from them. The first one that works,and you can't tell it's there / where it is.This may or may not help. I got new speakers. Went from Aerial10ts to Montana ESPs. The Montana, is better, by a large margin in the treble/mid. But the bass is not near as clean or low. This is what promped me to look for either bi amping; or a sub. The sub is the way to go. Thanks again everybody.
I think the real low bass add nuances and detail. I also think that sub set up is as important as the sub itself.
I was always suspicious over addition of subwoofer into the two channel system. Now, after connecting the ACI Titan along with ACI Sapphire's monitors, i am wholheartedly
going along with the suggestions of the majority. Placement of the is probably hardest thing, but if you have a time and patience it will be worth experimenting with it. Well, i 'talked' to much and haven't said nothing new. As usual.
Is it the case that some sub owners tailor their setup to leave a hole or depression at a problematic room resonance frequency? Say you've got a monitor that goes down to about 45 -50 Hz, and you've got a room resonance at about 40 hz. Do you dial out the sub below 40 to avoid that frequency? Does that create any audible anomaly? Or, maybe that's a bad example; is this strategy frequency dependent... e.g., works if the hole is closer to 30 than 40? Thanks.
jayboard, if this worked, it'd be purely coincidental - what if your room resonance was @ 120hz? i don't tink ewe wood wanna raise the monitors' x-over point to, say, 140hz, and the subs' to 100hz, yust to deal w/this, if better integration between sub-monitor were, say - 60hz. ideally, ewe set the x-over point as low as possible... there are good (& expensive) room-equalizers awailable that are designed to tame room-dependent frequency abberations...

one feature that my marchand x-over has, that makes it easier to integrate my subs w/my monitors is a separate wolume control *at* the x-over point, as well as wolume controls for the subs & the monitors. i have it set at -2db, which works best, w/my speakers, in my room. this was verified w/a pink-noise generator & spectrum analyzer.

regards, doug s.