TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
La45: Hey Cuz, how have you been? Glad to hear that you're going the SA-14 route. :)

Jack
Okay, here is my truth. I received my TRL Marantz SA-14 v.2 and, after 50 hours of break in, just was not comfortable with (i.e., did not enjoy) the sound.

Please, I am not going to go into the ill-defined audiophile vocabulary of extended highs and full mid-bass, etc., etc., et al. I listen wholistically, meaning, the sound moves me within a few days of listening or it does not.

Here's the thing though, I do not think it had anything to do with TRL, I think my disatisfaction has more to do with Marantz. Several months ago I was listening to a friends DV-9500, and, while I thought it sounded quite good, I knew it was not for me. Again, I am not going to go into details, I just did not prefer that sound. To me, the TRL SA-14 v2 had a very similar sound to the DV-9500 (general characteristiscs). The TRL was a considerably more refined of course, but there were distinct similarities between the units That sound (as I interpret it) is just not for me.

I AM NOT SAYING IT IS BAD! I am just saying it is not for me.
Pardales,

As you have most definitely read in these threads TRL mods, including those on the SA-14, require a significant amount of time (500 hours is recommended) to fully break-in. I can understand your disappointment after 50 hours, my TRL Audio Mirror DAC sounded better than stock but nothing to write home about after 50, 100, and 150 hours. However, at 200, 250, and 300 the sound opened up and measurably improved. The unit was performing as I expected, and as the Weitzel's described it would. Even though the sound is phenomenal right now, I am waiting until the 500 hours mark to make my final analysis.

I think you need to give this more than 50 hours. Heck, even a new non-TRL CDP would require at least 100 hours of break-in, which is pretty standard in the industry.
Clio09: I agree 100%. Fifty hours is like what, a little over 2 days? My TRL modified players didn't really open up until around 300 hours, which is over 12 days.

That's when you get a taste of what to expect.

Time will tell.

Jack
I know I did not give it the full break-in. I'm sure the sound does improve. I thought the unit sounded quite nice. I guess I made the judgment that, since I heard strong similarities to the 9500, while it would improve, the fundamental characteristics would not. I guess I am referring to a Marantz house sound that is just not my cup of tea. I may have erred in my judgment though.