Tweaks

The latest issue of Absolute Sound has a list of 15 or so tweaks that they say are worth doing. I would like to get some feedback from others about 3 of them.

1. Grounding Caps for unused preamp inputs.
2. Equipment anti-vibration devices such as Vibropods.
3. Aligning interconnects and power cords so that they cross at right angles to each other. (This sounds like a very difficult thing to arrange).
frepec
Jax2, You need help. Perhaps that’s why you don’t post your system.
Is it Bose?

Almarg, Tweaking is part of the fun for me in this hobby.
Always to remember to keep an open mind and experiment. You may never know if it will do anything until you try it.
Sorry, don’t buy the Witch Doctor comparison. Its not cancer we are talking about its trying out different tweaks in our systems and having fun.

Remember the surprise when you first tried a high end power cord?
Remember thinking; how the heck can a 5 foot power cord improve the sound quality when there are miles of power cable leading to my house?
Well you tried it and today most Audiophiles recognize that a proper power cord is basic equipment.

Jax2, You need help.

Somebody, help me please!

Perhaps that’s why you don’t post your system.
Is it Bose?

Good guess, but everyone knows that I'm a Close'N'Play kind of guy! Blows Bose garbage right to the back of the trailer park!
I'm a Close'N'Play kind of guy!
Jax2 (Reviews | Threads | Answers)
Absolutely! The only way to play those Archie's records from Super Sugar Crisp cereal!
Ozzy - please accept my apology...I really meant no offense to you. Most folks who know me around here know I have a rather acerbic sense of humor and like to poke fun...even at myself. I do know that I sometimes go too far, and if you actually took offense, I am sorry. My opinions of the Dynamica products have been honestly stated, albeit illustratively embellished with images some prefer not to savor. I also meant it when I said that I believe you should make your own choices. You do have my respect for posting your opinion, make no mistake about it. Geoff's products do occur to me as totally ridiculous simply at face value, make no mistake about that either. Nice system, BTW!

To roughly paraphrase a comment that was made some time ago in an unrelated thread by the estimable Tvad, you don't have to conduct a controlled clinical trial to determine that a witch-doctor cannot cure cancer by shaking a rattle and burning incense. Some things are self-evident.

Well said (Grant!) - thanks for the quote Almarg. I'd have to agree that this applies to my own opinion in this case. Some people would strongly disagree and argue pointing at the minds power of healing, etc. That is where my comment that the effect of tweaks like Geoff is marketing begin and end at the grey matter. I don't believe in them (that's probably the most polite way I could put it) and therefore I'm quite certain they'd have no effect on my experience of my system. It's like going to church when you don't really believe in god (just an example, not necessarily my viewpoint). Geoff's tweaks are a leap of faith in that way. Sorry Geoff, I have no faith at all in them, needless to say.

Remember the surprise when you first tried a high end power cord?
Remember thinking; how the heck can a 5 foot power cord improve the sound quality when there are miles of power cable leading to my house?
Well you tried it and today most Audiophiles recognize that a proper power cord is basic equipment.

FWIW I've read some very compelling explanations why power cords do make differences that actually make sense to me, even with a laypersons understanding of such things. I've never been really wowed by the difference a power cord can make in a system, though certainly I've heard differences in resolving systems like my own close-n-play system (I have to quit crunching my Capt'n Crunch in order to hear it though), and can appreciate what they can do. For me personally those differences I have heard are not worth the premium that is charged by many of the manufacturers of those cords, but hey, if folks want to pay that much for that kind of difference, that's their own business. That said, I do have power cords that seem to render a positive difference in my system, which some would opine that I paid a ridiculous price for. It's all relative. I have never read any compelling explanations why any of Geoff's products do anything beyond tell time and decorate the top of components with colored stones. Reading the "Papers" on his website are just about as entertaining as reading one of the threads commenting on his products. I'm sorry, I just can't take it seriously - it occurs to me as absurd. Mebee I just to dum to undastand it? The circuitous explanations occur to me to say something to the effect that these things work because, well because they work. I must not have read them hard enough.

Anyway, Just one more opinion among many.
Some of the best Isolation feet that you can buy are large brass Mi-Rollers and you can make them even better by wraping them tightly with teflon tape. This dampens the mi-rollers from vibrations. I put two coatings of Oatey's teflon tape on each mi-roller.