Tweaks

The latest issue of Absolute Sound has a list of 15 or so tweaks that they say are worth doing. I would like to get some feedback from others about 3 of them.

1. Grounding Caps for unused preamp inputs.
2. Equipment anti-vibration devices such as Vibropods.
3. Aligning interconnects and power cords so that they cross at right angles to each other. (This sounds like a very difficult thing to arrange).
frepec
Now the Magic Clocks, brilliant pebbles, I have them all and they do improve the soundstage. Geoffkaitis really on to something there. Not sure why , but they do .
Many people have bought them but are afraid to post because of all the crap you can get back in replies.
I actually did a review of them, if you care to read it its in the Audiogon Review section.

Your grandchildren will be bustin' their britches when they find out that, among the stuff you've left to them is jar or two of BP's and a Clever Little Clock. Did you purchase the phone call from Geoff too? I wonder if those phone calls skip a generation or can be passed along with the gear. Geoff?

Your review, well, actually the responses to it, make for some very entertaining reading. I've found that any mention of Geoff's products tends to render some amusing responses.

I guess unless you try these things you really shouldnt comment on there effectivesness.

I agree.

For the record, I have not tried any of Geoff's products. As I've made clear, I find them ridiculous at face value and certainly feel fine in stating as much publicly. I am very confident the majority of rational people would have a similar viewpoint. To be fair to Geoff, I am not basing my comment(s) on experience with his colored pebbles or LED clocks, or phone calls or any other tweak he markets,but simply on common sense. They are not intended as opinions on the actual function of the product or a review of the product since I have not heard them and likely never will.

Ozzy, my hats off to you for posting your review in spite of ridicule (my own included). I have no doubt you believe what you are hearing and that's what counts. I wonder how it would show up on a room response curve, though that's really not what matters, is it? So when you take all the pebbles and LED clocks out of the house and place them in a lead box with sacred symbols engraved in it, in the tomb of a nearby church, synagogue or in a vault at the nearest NASA facility...you know, so that none of the mojo gets out, does your system go back to sounding like just your run of the mill, pedestrian Pass-labs/Eggleston/Cary ho-hum system again? Kind of like waking up the morning after a bender to find what you'd slept with the night before was not at all what it seemed to be when you made that choice just a few hours ago?

Alas, I don't think I could be so open-minded to enjoy the benefits of the Geoff's offerings. I believe that this would be a requirement as the benefit of his stuff begins and ends in the grey matter. I guess my grand kids are just getting that tool chest, a few stamps, and an old sweater or two. Maybe they can come visit your grand kids and enjoy Geoff's tweaks there. Oh my, this is sad. I'm going to go drown my sorrows in cheap whiskey and cry myself to sleep in the corner of my bathroom where the toilet sounds like shit when it flushes because there's no clever little clock in there.
I guess unless you try these things you really shouldn't comment on their effectiveness.
First, let me say that Ozzy has clearly assembled a system of exceptionally high calibre, and I have considerable respect for the great majority of his posts which I have seen here. And I am in general agreement with the quoted proposition.

But I would add that there is a finite limit to the circumstances to which the quoted statement is applicable. To roughly paraphrase a comment that was made some time ago in an unrelated thread by the estimable Tvad, you don't have to conduct a controlled clinical trial to determine that a witch-doctor cannot cure cancer by shaking a rattle and burning incense. Some things are self-evident.

Regards,
-- Al
Jax2, You need help. Perhaps that’s why you don’t post your system.
Is it Bose?

Almarg, Tweaking is part of the fun for me in this hobby.
Always to remember to keep an open mind and experiment. You may never know if it will do anything until you try it.
Sorry, don’t buy the Witch Doctor comparison. Its not cancer we are talking about its trying out different tweaks in our systems and having fun.

Remember the surprise when you first tried a high end power cord?
Remember thinking; how the heck can a 5 foot power cord improve the sound quality when there are miles of power cable leading to my house?
Well you tried it and today most Audiophiles recognize that a proper power cord is basic equipment.

Jax2, You need help.

Somebody, help me please!

Perhaps that’s why you don’t post your system.
Is it Bose?

Good guess, but everyone knows that I'm a Close'N'Play kind of guy! Blows Bose garbage right to the back of the trailer park!
I'm a Close'N'Play kind of guy!
Jax2 (Reviews | Threads | Answers)
Absolutely! The only way to play those Archie's records from Super Sugar Crisp cereal!