Vandersteen 2WQ

Has anyone had any luck blending the Vandersteen 2WQ sub with any speakers other than the Vandersteen models?
timo62
Post removed 
The reason for first order filters mostly is they ring much less.
The Vandersteen 2WQ 3- 8 inch sealed woofers are Down firing,slot loaded which blocks higher frequencies but still maintains a more optimum transient response.
The reason for stereo sub-woofers is because there is
stereo information in the bass.
On some recordings the difference between them enhances the sense of space at the venue.
Using two sources, placed in two different locations,in the room gives a more linear response always.
Quasi first order low- pass filters sum better with a first order high-pass with notably less ringing.
JohnnyR dealer
+1 John! I can attest that what JohnnyR @ Audioconnection is saying is spot on, IME. I am now borrowing a different amplifier for my rig, and with the Ohm Walsh 2000s, I am once again getting a seemless blend between subs and mains. Yet, and this is key, the connection scheme of the 2Wqs allows me to hear quite clearly the differences between my amp and the borrowed amps. I can hear the differences in the frequencies covered by the 2Wqs as well as the frequencies covered by my Ohms. The 2Wq is a pretty unique product, and a heckuva value, IMHO.
I apologize if I'm highjacking the thread a little bit, but I've been looking at the 2WQ and this thread seems to be a good place to ask my questions.
1) Are the 2WQ meant to simply extend the bass response beyond the frequency of the main speaker, or also fix the in-room bass response - address the bass response in the room and make it "better" (tighter, more defined)? Reading the 2WQ's manual on the Vandersteen website, it seems that they are supposed to actually improve the bass response beyond simply making it deeper despite room/speaker placement limitations.

2) How do you connect the subwoofers to your existing equipment? The diagram in the manual is very confusing to me. You connect your line preamp to a crossover, crossover to the main amp, and then perform some weird cable crossover between the speakers and the subs? How does the amp know what frequencies to send where?

3) High pass filters. Only the "higher" frequencies go through to the main speaker, while the low frequencies go to the subwoofer, right? Does that mean that if I have a rumble problem with my turntable my main speakers will no longer exhibit woofer pumping?

Thank you for any clarification and again I apologize for taking the thread off topic.
((( Are the 2WQ meant to simply extend the bass response beyond the frequency of the main speaker,))) Yes
(((also fix the in-room bass response))) Yes
(((address the bass response in the room and make it "better" (tighter, more defined)?))) Yes
((( Reading the 2WQ's manual on the Vandersteen website, it seems that they are supposed to actually improve the bass response beyond simply making it deeper despite room/speaker placement limitations))))
A Vandersteen 2 WQ or pair of 2WQs allow bass to enter into the room more evenly. This will even out the in room Bass response.
When you even out the bass response the whole frequincy responce just blends better.

((How do you connect the subwoofers to your existing equipment))

Simple the 2WQ gets its input at speaker level.
This has its advantages as the sub amp will
now take on the same character as your main speaker amp.

((((High pass filters. Only the "higher" frequencies go through to the main speaker, while the low frequencies go to the subwoofer, right?))))

Think of a high pass as the device that takes the load off of the main Amp/speaker by allowing less of the lowest bass into the main amp.
This lowers the distortion by four times dramatically improving dynamics clarity and transparency of the whole system.
Isolation of a turntable away from moving surfaces is
always best.
JohnnyR
Vandersteen dealer