VTL TL2.5 Preamp

Can anyone shed any light on this tube pre-amp, I'm considering one? I never considered tube "anything" before, but did like the sound very much. Matched with a SS amp.
adman227
For the money, I know of very little that competes with the VTL TL 2.5. Very engaging, excellant volume control, solid build, huge soundstage and black background. IMHO. Email me if you have more questions.
I love mine and agree with all of the above. If you decide to get one, check the tube types used in the year it was built. I seem to remember reading somewhere that changes were made along the way. Mine uses 12AT7's and 12AU7's. Tube rolling can be very rewarding.

Good Luck
I've enjoyed it for years in a dedicated second system.
To get the most out of it replace the stock tubes with Telefunkens and it becomes a real sleeper.
In fact, warmed up it competes with much more expensive units and easily beats the 5.5 unless tubes are rolled in it.
I recently was looking to simplify and downsize when I bought a tube integrated amp, but could not live with the results.
The trade off was so huge, I would rather pass on having the system if it didn't have the 2.5 in it.
A true bargin and keeper.
How would this amp pair with either a Bryston 4B SST or
Mac252 amp, and Focal-JM Labs 800 series speakers?
Thanks.
I owned a 2.5 for a couple of years, and it is a real bargain. The optional phono stage is quite nice as well. Tubed with Mullard/Telefunken tubes, it really soared. The MultiCap upgrade from VTL was worthwhile, and inexpensive. My dealer let me borrow a Classe' preamp while the 2.5 was at VTL, and I really missed it.

Consistently excellent results with VTL ST-85, MB-125's and ST-150. I used it with a Plinius SA-100mkII for a few months as well...nice sounding combo, but I went back to an all-tube system.

In an all-tube system, I preferred Tele's. With the Plinius, the slightly warmer tone of the Mullard tubes worked best.