Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
Ed_sawyer I agree almost exactally on your discription on the Mac sound. It is just plain dull. The MC275 is a great amp though. The build quality is NOT great tap on there preamps & sources& some of there amps they ring like a bell.
hello sit,i dont know what mac's deal is with the mc2300 but i also had problem's with their service dept a few year's ago over that model amp & all i wanted was a replacement meter,i went thru hell with them trying to get a new meter or the old one repaired.

the speaker rebuilder i use is fantastic & has completely rebuilt several older model speaker's for me,jbl l250 ti,mcintosh xl1,mcintosh xl1w,atlec 14's,klipschorn's & heresy's & i think several other's too.

the company's name is MICHIGAN SOUND REINFORCEMENT & their telephone number's are 1-810-238-2772 & 1-810-238-4893, they open at noon i think.

i remember that the type of dual voice coil used in the older model's is tough to find & with the xl1's i had them rebuild they had one hell of a time locating the vioce coil's for the mid's but they did end up finding them & rebuilding the mid's for me.

hopefully they can hook you up.
I know why Mcintosh sounds bad. They use Mcintosh speakers to listen to there equipment.
I think the amps are okay but far overpriced, now McIntosh Preamps are where its at.. Very good for the most part and those super tuff systems that need a little "TLC" with tone controls benifit greatly. I have owned a Krell piece and to explain it sounded like a piece of Steel from the moon or something if that makes any sense in translating sound. Truely most mark levinson stuff is decent but more stereo sounding than organic or live, Krell well from the intergrated and preamps I owned now make me laugh, They do have a pretty sweet pair of speakers that run about 12000.00 a pair I believe, they are real solid like extruded aluminum and tall, sounded very nice, I think they were like scanspeak drivers or something, and I heard Krells 30000.00 sub, sure nice but for a 30000.00 sub I think I could buy about 10 of the best subs on the planet and really destroy some drywall.
The best thing I can say about McIntosh is that in the month+ since we purchased our MC7200 amp, I have not tweaked anything in our system. That has not happened in over two years! I was constantly looking for better sound, and for whatever reason, this amp has quieted that need. Consequently, my frustration with the system is also gone.

Last weekend, some friends and I took a drive to Amoeba Records in Berkeley, and I picked up 25 new CDs. Just enjoying the music, more than ever. As some have said, McIntosh is not for audiophiles. It's for music lovers. I happen to agree.