Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
name another company that retains the same degree of resale value. That says somthing. And I do not own Macs.

Larry
Bigjoe- This is response from "SIT" to your question about which Mac pieces I gave up on. These are MC2300 amp, C29 preamp, one pair XR-7 loudspeakers. Sold As-is on Ebay about 1 1/2 year ago. Really broke my heart 'cause this was suppose to be top of the line gear and I maintained it meticulously over the years.

4+ yr. ago I had a channel go out on my MC2300 amp (gold and black panel 300 WPC unit) and a couple of other problems. Also had problem develop almost simultaneously with the C29 preamp where a nagging buzzing sound could not be cured. When I purchased both in '79 I also purchased a pair of XR-7 loudspeakers with the MQ-107 Environmental Equalizer. I was supporting myself thru college at Ohio State at the time and spent every spare dime I had to get this gear. McIntosh was absolutely no help to me in getting the gear back up to reasonable operating condition. I took it in for repair in Baltimore and then in Erie (PA) and no one could seem to fix things to work properly for any period of time.

Nearly right out of the box w/ my new XR-7 pair I had to replace (under the 5 yr.warranty) two of the 4 dome midrange loudspeakers. I ended up replacing all 4 with 2 not being covered by warranty. Roger Russell admits to a shortcoming with the domes....!

I am still looking for coils to replace 4 dome speakers on two other sets of XR-7 speakers I still own. Recently, I was able to get one rebuilt dome speaker (NOT FROM McINTOSH!!!) but I still need 4 more. McIntosh basically told me "tough luck". DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE COILS FOR THESE DOMES?

John
Ed_sawyer I agree almost exactally on your discription on the Mac sound. It is just plain dull. The MC275 is a great amp though. The build quality is NOT great tap on there preamps & sources& some of there amps they ring like a bell.
hello sit,i dont know what mac's deal is with the mc2300 but i also had problem's with their service dept a few year's ago over that model amp & all i wanted was a replacement meter,i went thru hell with them trying to get a new meter or the old one repaired.

the speaker rebuilder i use is fantastic & has completely rebuilt several older model speaker's for me,jbl l250 ti,mcintosh xl1,mcintosh xl1w,atlec 14's,klipschorn's & heresy's & i think several other's too.

the company's name is MICHIGAN SOUND REINFORCEMENT & their telephone number's are 1-810-238-2772 & 1-810-238-4893, they open at noon i think.

i remember that the type of dual voice coil used in the older model's is tough to find & with the xl1's i had them rebuild they had one hell of a time locating the vioce coil's for the mid's but they did end up finding them & rebuilding the mid's for me.

hopefully they can hook you up.
I know why Mcintosh sounds bad. They use Mcintosh speakers to listen to there equipment.