Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
I say laziness. After all, we're dealing with a generation whose mentality won't allow them to watch a movie unless it's in color!!
what about all the scientists with their phds and doctors who have no interest in art? they may be busy or have other interest. i think it's a bit harsh to cast aspersions.

regarding what audio means, i consider it the pursuit of equipment for the purpose of creating what one considers sonic excellenece.

such an endeavor may motivate a very small sample of the population.

as i have said, it is a matter of priorities. music may not be as important as some other pursuit.

perhaps there are many who don't ascribe to collecting, wanting to live a simpler existence, not wanting to be tied to things, or having no interest in owning material goods.

perhaps younger people are less materialistic , e.g., conspicuous consumption, than people over 40.
Sonic excellence? Maybe; but not precise enough a term for me to understand what's in YOUR mind whan you say it. That's why I used words like "sonic stimulation" and/or "illusion of realism" etc.
More would love audio if they could be convinced to give it a go. But, people have their priorities, and the art of music reproduction doesn't occur to many as worthwhile.
I wonder about it too...especially considering the fact that pretty much majority of the people listen to music, have favourite bands and songs and so on...It cannot be money issue, I see too many 40K trucks and SUV's and big houses with few spare bedrooms to think that it's a money issue. I honestly think that 99.9% have never heard a nice "high end" audio set up so of course it the idea of building a nice system wouldn't even cross their mind. People want want they see ( quote from Silence of the Lambs?) and they see expensive cars, homes, clothes, jewelery, whatever so that's what they're after...