Why Don't More People Love Audio?

Can anyone explain why high end audio seems to be forever stuck as a cottage industry? Why do my rich friends who absolutely have to have the BEST of everything and wouldn't be caught dead without expensive clothes, watch, car, home, furniture etc. settle for cheap mass produced components stuck away in a closet somewhere? I can hardly afford to go out to dinner, but I wouldn't dream of spending any less on audio or music.
tuckermorleyfca6
Sonic excellence? Maybe; but not precise enough a term for me to understand what's in YOUR mind whan you say it. That's why I used words like "sonic stimulation" and/or "illusion of realism" etc.
More would love audio if they could be convinced to give it a go. But, people have their priorities, and the art of music reproduction doesn't occur to many as worthwhile.
I wonder about it too...especially considering the fact that pretty much majority of the people listen to music, have favourite bands and songs and so on...It cannot be money issue, I see too many 40K trucks and SUV's and big houses with few spare bedrooms to think that it's a money issue. I honestly think that 99.9% have never heard a nice "high end" audio set up so of course it the idea of building a nice system wouldn't even cross their mind. People want want they see ( quote from Silence of the Lambs?) and they see expensive cars, homes, clothes, jewelery, whatever so that's what they're after...
Branislav, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what you're saying is that high-end audio systems can never be a status symbol like the other items you mention, primarily due to lack of exposure -- you can't wear it, drive it, etc? In which case I would agree -- to a large extent. But I don't think that's the whole story.

Over the past 40 years, I have (and before that, my father) shared my system(s) with probably a 1000 people (I'm guessing,) I know they were all very impressed -- obviously excited and stimulated, foremost by the realism, and yet only a fraction, I bet 5% or less, were actually moved to put together a system, even a small one. Most of them had the means and the space. Some of that changed when CD's came along; maybe because of the (perceived) convenience? I'm not sure.

I think it may simply be that only a small percentage of people actually receive enough pleasure and stimulation from a (pretty credible) illusion of live performance, right in their home, to own even a modest audio system. And let's remember that for centuries, "music in the home" was a privilege (and a status symbol) only a few could enjoy! So I've always found it ironic that once "performance level" reproduced audio was widely available -- certainly by the beginning of the 60's, a period rich with status symbols -- that more people didn't acquire home audio systems. It certainly wasn't for lack of exposure ;--)
high end audio is an example of conspicuous consumption. i have heard of individuals who assemble expensive components to impress their contemporaries, without actually listening to them.

such a "group" is probably very small, in comparison to those who listen to music.

however, if many people view audio not as a vehicle for the enjoyment of music but as an indication that they possess material wealth it would serve as another explanation as to why the hobby is not popoular.