Why I sell

We all sell and buy for a variety of reasons. I thought I would post a
Letterman top ten reasons to sell. Not in any order.

I need the money for another project.

I'm going thru a divorce

We're having a new baby, I need more space.

Second system did not happen

The IRS is after me

My wife doesn't like it, says it has to go ( are you a wimp? )

I need the money cause I crashed my car

My mother died and I need to pay for a funeral

I need the money to send my kid to college

I am going to down size my system

Sell because you want to and buy because you want it.
That is why there are so many products, we all have different tastes.
Joe
drjoe
I don't think anyone should have to justify why you are selling & it makes me laugh when I see an ad with various reasons why as if there should be some sort of guilt associated with it.

It's not necessarily guilt...it's called "marketing". Most buyers don't know the sellers, so if the sellers can paint a story that makes the potential buyers more confortable, they can sell quicker (or at a higher price). I'm by no means an "Audiogon Power Seller" or anything of the sort, but when I've needed to, I've unloaded a lot of gear in a very short amount of time at a fair price.

Following this advice, I moved $10k of stuff in under 2 weeks (no joke) - I was unemployed and needed cash for grad school.

1. Pictures are a mustÂ…and not just of the component itself. A photo of the component in a system helps, too. This also shows that the component wasn't used in a pig sty. It gives the buyer confidence that the product exists and hasn't be abused.

2. The product needs a bit of personal narrative. What did you really like about it? What were the products strengths? What similar components have you used?

3. You need to post a reason why you're selling the goods. Make it personal, particularly if the strengths listed above are compelling.

4. List "out the door" pricing. Spell it all out. List the product for $2000, but in the description, say "include a flat $100 for UPS ground shipping and $65 for paypal." And that all goods will be in original boxes, then boxed again.

5. Talk up your reputation. I always say that I take my Audiogon reputation seriously, and anyone who has any concerns should contact those who have left me feedback.

6. Use proper English. Poor grammar stinks of a scam.

7. Make the ad fun. I want to get the impression I'm dealing with a guy I'd want to buy a beer.

8. Make it clear that your posted price is more than fair and not negotiable.

These are the rules I follow, and have been really successful. Bottom line, I post in an ad exactly what I look for in an ad.
It's nobody's business why I want to sell my item.

It is for sale and it is a very good item at a fair price.

Please see the photos.

If I really need the money....I don't want you to know that I'm broke.

If my wife says it has to go, I don't want you to know that I'm a wimp.

Do you want to buy it or not?
What's most annoying is when a seller lies about why an item is for sale, and the lie is exposed only days after the sale.

Just be honest. There's nothing wrong with saying you want to try something else.
The last thing I want to see in an ad is a lenghty expanation of why your selling, a waste of time & space, this will not give me the incentive to buy as a worthy product should sell on its own merits. Like TVAD mentioned the most important thing is the seller describe the item accurately and your honest about its condition. If you mention in your ad you are desperate to sell than this only eliminates your ability to get a fair price, as cruel as this sounds.

In additition my advice is if the seller has no feedback even if the item looks like a steal, exercise caution. I have given into this a couple of times and have been burned. If the seller has no feedback, ask for his phone number and talk to him.
I sell because I want to try different pieces, its part of the hobby I enjoy and I don't want to have 20 amps and preamps laying around. It is rarely (ever?)a case related to the sound quality of the piece, most every piece I've had sounded good to my ears, though they often sound different and ultimately a matter of system matchups and personal taste. In the past year or so I have sold a CAT SL1, and Lamm LL2, Placette Active, Music Reference RM9 and 10, and a Pass XA30.5 - each was an excellent sounding piece, but without Audiogon I would never have been able to enjoy each in my system for time they were here.

I would only care if you were selling an item that was broke and you lied about it, otherwise it is your business why you are selling and I'll decide if the price is fair to give me an opportunity to try the piece.