Zappa?

In an ongoing exploration of various musical styles, I've run across Frank Zappa's Grand Wazoo. It's been a long time since I listened to Zappa, and I found the Grand Wazoo to be entertaining. What recommendations do you have for Zappa's works? What should be avoided?

As an aside, what album contains the line "help, I'm a rock..."?

John
johnrob
Another vote for "Hot Rats" as the #1 "must have" Zappa record. Followed by "Joe's Garage".
"Joe's Garage" is a masterpiece in my book. The songs, the musicianship, the production, I'm always in the mood to hear it.
Thanks for the suggestions!! I also recall listening to Freak Out (repeatedly) as a kid on my brother's stereo (Couldn't recall the album name until remined by this thread).

As always, the best part of Audiogon (IMHO) are the threads about music.

John
There are so many I really couldn't pick just one. I guess if I had to pick one it would be UNCLE JOE'S GARAGE. Why because of the sound and it's length.
the best zappa music ive ever heard is the zappa's universe concert,the entire concert was an after death tribute from a ton of former band member's,every time i watch that show im amazed at how adept frank was at blending a full symphony orchestra with a rock & roll band without either style overwhelming the other & without relagating the orchestra to the typical gun's n rose's back ground crap that is the norm,the orchestra is 'the symphony of our time'& they play several smoking hot peice's,the video cover's music from the start of the mother's of invention to the final zappa band & feature's a bunch of special guest performer's.

the best part of watching that concert video is that you get a huge insight into what went into alot of fz's music instead of just hearing the silly lyric's that most people associate with fz while they miss out on some seriously fantastic musician's playing the most complicated rock music ever,take my word on this & order the video it will blow you away,it did me & i own the entire fz catalog & most of the bootleg's too.

my personal favorite fz album is 'thing fish', it's kinda along the line's of goe's garage but instead of being narrated by the central scrutinizer(fz) its narrated by the thing fish(ike willis) & is based on government test's to try to get rid of aid's & durring testing on convict's they accidently create 'the mammy nun's,the narration is done in the funniest butchered english amos & andy type voice ive ever heard.

some other note worthy zappa album's that have not been mentioned yet.

SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE TO SAVE A DROWNING WITCH.

ZOOT ALURES.

SLEEP DIRT.

STUDIO TAN.

JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM LA.

JAZZ FROM HELL.

mike.