zyx universe cartr.- ideal weight -ideal vta ,

Dear analogue friends , i want your assistance to regulate my zyx universe cartr.
I use conquerror tonearm and i would know the ideal tested cartr.weight -actually i tried 1,8 and 1,9 gr with good results, other question is if the arm must be completly parallel to the disk or slightly up for optimum performance.
comaris
Sirspeedy,
What arm are you using this nanomount system with? How much does it increase mass?
Mariasplunge,you probably misunderstood my posting.I am awaiting a Graham Phantom arm,and have a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge.I don't have a clue as to what a nanomount is!!
I made mention of the new ZYX because I felt some folks here would like to read about it.
Best
I think my arm accounts for my generally favoring a slightly higher tracking force. I can get pretty freaked out
if i get mistracking but I think my micro mx 282 does has a very subtle anti-skate that doesn't do a whole lot compared to other arms i have owned. So, i am going generally a little higher vtf and low on the anti-skate and in my rig that has produced the best tracking authority without sounding "closed-in".

I could learn a lot from doug about set up, and someday I will!
I've been to Doug's and heard first hand exactly the changes he is prescribing. Eye-opening, startling, obvious. Yes, the minute changes in his system are that evident. Then I've gone home and tried to re-create, with some success, what I've experienced in his living room. There are variables involved in to what extreme the results of applying Doug's suggestions are in any given system. But in saying this I'm in no way implying that his methods are not valid and still of great practical use. His suggestions have greatly helped me improve my system's playback. I'm offering this as comfort to others like myself who listen to music that does not lend itself to taking advantage of all of what a cartridge like the Universe, or Orpheus, etc. might offer. Don't go crazy here, guys, if you don't hear all of the improvements.

First and foremost, Doug, and especially Paul, have extraordinary ear-to-brain coordination. They hear stuff. I'm talking alien type stuff here! I'm sure there are others of you among us.

The genre of music reproduction that Doug and Paul prefer is of a somewhat specific, but by no means uncommon, vein. What they are seeking can be described as the experience of sitting in the middle of a string quartet or in the immediate presence of a vocalist with no electronics in between. They know what this music should, and should not, sound like. They know immediately. And so their system is voiced to the max to expose any weakness in the ability to reproduce that experience I've tried to describe here.
Thanks for the common sense post, Dan - as usual. You described what we're seeking to reproduce very well. It's wise to point out that not everyone shares the same priorities.

If your interests don't gravitate toward the sound of acoustic instruments and skilled vocalists presented without electronic intervention, then this degree of craziness may not repay the time and effort. If you don't give a %@#&! about the sound of a three-manual harpsichord vs. a single-string clavichord or whether Emma Kirkby sounds as lifelike as possible, forget most of the above!

Aside from the time it takes, playing as we do involves some risk to your vinyl. As Mothra suggested, playing so close to the mistracking point could mean playing below it the next time the weather changes. We monitor VTF constantly (not with a scale, by ear) and it's become second nature just out of habit. If that would drive you nuts then it isn't worth the bother.

In that case (for a ZYX) I'd suggest finding the mistracking point (definitely useful info to know) and then playing .10 - .15g above that in warmer weather, .15 - .20g above in cold/dry weather. That would work as a virtually set-and-forget method for any ZYX we've used.