Buying used vs. New

Does anyone have reservations about buying used?
I used to swear buy it until recently. I bought a preamp that arrived with a humming problem from the transformer because the delivery company dropped it. Fortunately, I had bought it new and the store was able to replace it. I was just thinking, what if this was used, I would be out of luck in terms of getting it fixed. Also, I bought a used piece of equipment on Audiogon a few years ago that is now giving me trouble. It is out of warranty and was fairly expensive, and now has issues. Now I'm seriously considering buying new, even though my money will only stretch about half as far.
fruff1976
Always call the person you are buying from. Never buy from zero feedback sellers. Always get serial numbers from sellers on expensive pieces and call the maker to verify any service related issues, etc. Try to avoid buying from strange e-mail addresses that don't have any recognizable information. Never, Never, Never send money via Western Union to a seller. It is a very popular scam on audiogon and e-bay. Avoid deals that seem too good to be true!! Use paypal type services whenever possible. Do not send cash type payments... you are asking for trouble. Remember that sometimes it only takes one bad event to justify purchasing new products.
I have had excellent experience buying used on audiogon.Out of atleast ten purchases I had only one cd player that did not work out.I got fantastic amps at a very reasonable price.The one high end amp I purchased new from a dealer failed ,ie caught on fire,I had to send it to be fixed,it was gryphon Antileon signature,after more than a month it was replaced with a new amp.About half the equipment I have I purchased used and I have a lot of equipment,I will continue to purchase used and avoid the infant mortality problem.
I really can't buy locally. Period. It isn't here to be had.
So that takes care of the shipping damage question because everything-new or used-is going to be shipped.
Scams are another issue entirely and I think you can avoid a lot of that by just not buying without a phone conversation.
Then there's price.

I buy a lot of stuff used because I'd rather let someone else absorb CERTAIN DEPRECIATION while I gamble on having to pay for POSSIBLE REPAIRS.

Either way, when I sell it, it will be used.
I cannot afford new for the quality of equipment I want, so it's primarily used for me.

If I were spending a few thousand on a piece and had reservations, I'd fly to where it is and get it there, or ship it from there. A flight is worth saving a few grand (by buying used) and having peace of mind.

I buy and sell hifi and musical instruments on the side. I buy in person and sell primarily on Ebay. My experiences have all been positive, but I'm prepared for the occasional loss.
Seditious3, That sounds like a good idea... Fly to the place of sale and check it out. I'm not sure how many people would welcome a stranger into their home though???