Buying used vs. New

Does anyone have reservations about buying used?
I used to swear buy it until recently. I bought a preamp that arrived with a humming problem from the transformer because the delivery company dropped it. Fortunately, I had bought it new and the store was able to replace it. I was just thinking, what if this was used, I would be out of luck in terms of getting it fixed. Also, I bought a used piece of equipment on Audiogon a few years ago that is now giving me trouble. It is out of warranty and was fairly expensive, and now has issues. Now I'm seriously considering buying new, even though my money will only stretch about half as far.
fruff1976
People who buy new add value to the retail sales industry.

People who buy used may add value to the repair and upgrade industry.

The former can exist (very nicely I might add) without the latter but the latter could not exist without the former.

Economists would prefer the former exclusively. The average guy on the street might prefer the latter or not.

Having options and freedom of choice is a good thing.

Nice ecosystem guys. Keep it going!
I cannot grasp why audiophiles have a need to constantly goad, snipe and criticize each other for choices they make.
"I cannot grasp why audiophiles have a need to constantly goad, snipe and criticize each other for choices they make."

It happens because its part of human nature. People do it all the time.

I can understand it when it comes to politics and meaningful issues of power and control, but not when it comes to what gadgets and toys people prefer.
I have a mix of used and new in my system, which is the first audiophile quality one I have put together. I have had good luck so far buying used equipment. I would say, however, that one should never pay more than half of the original retail price for a used item, the only exception to this would be if it basically hadn't actually been used. That is pretty much the rule of thumb for any type of high-end goods. And of course, you have to do your research and make sure that you know what you are getting.
08-25-08: Learsfool
... one should never pay more than half of the original retail price for a used
item, the only exception to this would be if it basically hadn't actually been
used. That is pretty much the rule of thumb for any type of high-end
goods.

That's a worthy goal, but in practice, it's not always possible. The market for
an item determines its used value. In cases where there is more demand than
supply for an item, the market value will be higher than 50% of retail.
Depending on the component, paying more than 50% can still be a good
value.

You can see evidence of this daily in the Audiogon listings.