budget component in high-end system?

Does anyone use a budget component in an otherwise high-end system? You always see reviews of budget components where the reviewers says the piece comes very close to things costing much, much more money. Does anyone use any of these so called "budget" components by choice? ex. $500 cd player with $10,000 amplification.
fruff1976
i use a squeezebox 3 ($299) as a transport into a 47 labs shigaraki dac. i had previous used a 47 labs shigaraki transport ($2250 now that prices have gone up). i don't notice any significant difference.

i use a supratek dual cabernet with yamamoto a-08s amplification. my speakers are von schweikert dB-99SE's. my cabling is just a bunch of throw away junk.

i plan to DIY my future clabes, but i'm planning on buying a new home soon and until i can get my system into a dedicated room, i see no reason to custom build cables when i have no idea how my system will be arranged.
I run a Chinese-made Doge 6 tubed CD player, which cost me about $1,600 with upgraded tubes, in a system that is otherwise high-end by most people's standards ($100k+). I've paid a fair amount for digital gear in the past, but won't do it anymore given the speed with which digital gear becomes obsolete: like any other computer, I can buy a relatively cheap current-production CD player that outperforms state-of-the-art digital gear from five years ago. There is of course a certain minimum level of money that must be spent to ensure that a CD player has a good transport and good power supplies, but even that is available cheaply now given what is coming out of China. This Doge smokes my ARC CD-3 and smokes smokes my Levinson 37/360s, all at a fraction of the price.

Sure I could get better performance with an AMR, Meitner, etc., but I just can't justify the added performance in view of the cost -- this thing sounds great!
I consider headphones a budget component when used within a high end system. The level of performance is great with relatively little money. I use a pair of Ultrasone 2500s with a Grado RA-1 battery unit with really high end results within a high end system.
I see a lot of Sony Playstations being used as CDPs in fairly high end systems.