budget component in high-end system?

Does anyone use a budget component in an otherwise high-end system? You always see reviews of budget components where the reviewers says the piece comes very close to things costing much, much more money. Does anyone use any of these so called "budget" components by choice? ex. $500 cd player with $10,000 amplification.
fruff1976
Doug, you make several good points, most intriguingly that replacing a menagerie of cables from various manufacturers with uniform cabling from one manufacturer, may be a prerequisite for getting a sense of how cables influence a system. As I have not tried this approach I suspend judgment but remain skeptical. Assuming that a particular manufacturer's cables all share the same sonic signature, I can see that an accumulation of such cables would tend to reinforce & reveal that signature more clearly-- which might or might be a good thing for a particular system. But just as often as advocating this approach, cable mavens seek out different cables for voicings of a tactical nature, believing in the manner of oenophiles that a certain lightweight CDP might benefit from a taste of peat and chocolate, or a syrupy oil-capped 300B may be complemented by a lighter grape from the sunny side of the vineyard. Committing to one cable manufacturer implies a synergistic approach, but one might just as well extend this construct and commitment to one manufacturer for all components in a system. There are of course credible manufacturers like Linn who have persuaded customers to purchase homogenious systems by virtue of good engineering or good marketing, and others like Krell with its Cast system, who engineer proprietary links between components. But one must carefully peal the onion of market-speak and/or suffer many bad spends to arrive at the truth on this point.

A look inside some top $10K components reveals lots of $.30/ft microphone cable and other budget wire. Worth starting there, where $50 in hook-up wire may make as much of a difference as a $1000 interchassis IC.

Dgarretson, Yes, peeling onions does protect one from biting into unsavory things... :)
My description of Audiofeil's cable product offerings may unfairly characterize his business by mentioning only high end offerings. It turns out he does carry Zu, Van den Hul and other lines which have modestly priced cables. Thought the community should know this.
We should and now do.Some of us are also into splitting hairs and quaint catchphrases so prevalent among those who religiously run down that last 10% of what is and what might be.Love the veins and arteries analogy,this site is better than a Steven Wright show,thanks men,cheers,Bob
I have some high-end stuff in my budget system.

speaker cables - $100
5KW iso - $100
DIY preamp - $600
amps - $9K (paid 3K)
speakers - $30K (paid 6K)