What makes up an

Wondering what makes an audio system "high end". Is it name brand, price paid or simply what your ears discern as quality? In the current issue of TAS several budget systems are also described as "high end". Most of the components in these "budget high end" systems looked very enticing to me. What do you think?
darkkeys
this hobby has psychological underpinnings. i can't ascribe motivations to anyone but myself. i am an iconoclast. you may disagree with me, but i believe there are audiophiles who feel insecure if they consider there stereo system not "high-end". there are others who don't care.

what is the purpose of a term if it doesn't have meaning to a number of people.

i asked an innocent question, regarding the attitude towards one's stereo system. as yousaid, it's no big deal, but yet, i am curious.
Mr. Tennis
I completely agree about the psychological underpinnings of our hobby. Tell me a human edevour which hasn't! And yes, actually I like iconoclasts, because in destructing they create and I would sincerely apologise, if I should have read your motives wrong. But please allow one question: As an iconoclast what idols are you up against?

What has gotten my back up, and of course not only in this thread, but in most of the others we happen to share and which by the way more often than not gets a lot of dung thrown into your direction by other members and mostly for the same reason I would think, is that in the midst often of heated and interesting discussions you state the obvious, that no matter what topic is being discussed, it is fine if one likes ones stereo and that is that. In other words, all what others and I talked about before is bull and lets forget about it. If that is your motive, fine, but then you run danger of being ridiculed again more often than not, as happened in the other thread we posted in together. In a sense you seem to me, that you are taking the side of the "weak", the newbees and those who simply cannot afford "better". That would be a noble motive and in fact I would support you in this, but then how can those people learn? You seem to obstruct, not to help educating those, who possibly might be in need. There is more, but I think I'll stop here. If you wish, we can continue that conversation in private, however it would help and probably not only me, because obviously I am not the only one you occasionally irritate, what as an iconoclast you are aiming at. Perhaps then one would be able to understand you better and would galdly afford you the respect you most probably deserve, not only as a seasoned audiophile and reviewer, but also as a Quad-lover (: and fellow hobbyist.
Cheers and happy listening,
Detlof
Detlof, Re......"that you are taking the side of the weak, the newbees, and those who simply can't afford "better".

He ain't taking my side, not that I noticed, and I'm weak (in the head, perhaps), I can't afford better (whatever afford might mean), and I'm certainly Newbee!. :-)

Seriously, with regard to Mt T's posting habits, from the very beginning of his appearance in these forums he has made it clear that he enjoys arguing and is crafting his posts to create controvery (the good, the bad, the ugly, I don't think he really cares) and arguments so he can, in his mind anyway, argue and prevail. Some might consider him nothing more than a troll, but I consider his posts to be nothing much more than inept attempts to be a devils advocate, a profession I can respect when executed effectively. We learn far more by arguing than we ever learn by agreeing.

Re the original question 'what makes a system 'high end'. I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, nonethe less, with due respect to all, IMHO the answer resides in what the term 'high end' means to the user. For the most part when I have seen it used it has been a vague reference to often undefined audio products used by audiophiles in creating their systems with an allusion to either superiority or grandiosity depending of the users percieved status. I doubt that the term 'high end' is often used between peers (at least with my peers that is so). At the risk of 'sounding' PC, this is a phrase I find totally unuseful. To the contrary, I think it can get in the way of meaningful communication.

More simply said for the word weary, "High end" means no more, or less, than what you want, or percieve, it to mean. It is IMHO actually descriptive of nothing with which I am familar. I suppose some use 'high end' and 'good stuff' interchangably. Thats OK.
Hi Newbee (big grin)

Now I was very careful to NOT use the Caps lock when I typed out that ominous word, but thanks for taking the time to write your view on Mr. you know who. I don't think he is just trolling, that's why I avoided invectives and tried to address and take him seriously. Curious to see what may forthcome......(for an advocatus diaboli and yes we do need them also here, he would indeed need a tad more depth, but let's see)

Regarding the term "high end", I reckon you have hit the nail on the head.It is certainly a subjective term serving some users and it DOES get in the way of meaningful conversation as you so rightly point out. We never use it either, come to think of it but on the other hand it was quite understood what Darkkeys was alluding at of course, namely what makes a system sing, sound musical, what should I look at.....
Cheers,
Detlof

Oops Newbee, I just realised, a greenhorn is spelled "newbie" not "newbee"; you see English is not my mother tongue, so these things happen, but then it gave us a chance to exchange a couple of friendly grins didn't it? (:
I wish English were not my mother tongue....then I'd have a great excuse for my absense of skills. And I wish pigs would fly! :-)