Power Conditioners Recommendations

Looking for some recommendations.
In your opinion / experience what would you say is a good deal / good value power conditioner for about $250 used?

I am looking at Adcom ACE-515 as the ceapest at about $70, Monster Power HTS 36000Mk2 for about $160 up to Furman PF Pro at $250.
Anything else?
I have a tube amp and CD player for a source

thanks!!
Ag insider logo xs@2xether
Stehno, I am sure that you are correct, but would I be right in guessing that the "proper" line conditioners of which you speak are quite far above the price range of say the PS Audio Quintet?
Learsfool, good point. There is always the used market.

For example the Foundation Research LC-1 and LC-2 line conditioners are older models and still should compete with some of the very best line conditioners available today and used you can find them around the $300 - $500 price range. (There's none on Audiogon at this moment.)

I'm sure there are others as well such as Audio Magic.

But more important, if proper line conditioning is not in your budget at this time don't waste your money on something that often times sounds worse than nothing at all.

It's not like any line conditioning is better than no line conditioning at all because that simply is not true. I've actually auditioned systems where after 10 - 20 minutes I couldn't take the fatigue any more and suggested we remove the line conditioners entirely from the system and the system sounded far better and less fatiguing. And we're talking very popular name brands in high-end audio.

It's these very units that give proper line conditioning a bad rap and that's why even after all these years few systems have any kind of serious line conditioning.

Line conditioners are what I consider somewhat of a foundational requirement to a system. In other words, if you get this part of the system right (or at least better) it has the potential to dramatically improve every electrical component in the system. Not just one. So it's actually like upgrading every component and hearing a bit more of every component's full potential.

I suggest patience and research, stay away from the most popular brands, and look for used unit prices.

Perhaps instead of budgeting for your next amp or speaker upgrade, you might consider budgeting for proper line conditioning instead. I can all but guarantee that you'll get far more listening pleasure.

-IMO
Retailed at about $1300. 20 amp. 70+ lbs. Isolation transformer. No relation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Powervar-ABC2000-11-Power-Conditioner_W0QQitemZ140294874138QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item140294874138&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50
IMO, Shunyata Hydra is the way to go. I've had Monsters, PS Audio Ultimate Outlets, Quietline filters, and the Hydra is the only one that doen't limit dynamics and made a BIG improvement on everything, from large amps, to digital, to TV. Just amazing.

Used Hydra 2's for $250, new right now at Music Direct or Dedicated Audio for $320. But the Hydra 2 has only 2 outlets. In a pinch, though less satisfactory, you could use a high quality power bar attached to it. Other Hydras are more.