is audiogon good for the audio industry or bad?

I am not a dealer so my input is only based on my limited actions...but, since I discovered audiogon and became a member and active user, I have raised thousands of dollars by selling equipment that had been stored in my basement because "trade-in values" are so low that I would have rather stored this equipment just in-case I one day needed it. I then re-invested those dollars, plus other dollars and then sold equipment that I was planning on living with and invested those dollars as well to basically upgrade 1/2 my system which I had no imminent plans to do prior to AG. The result is that I have now spent thousands and thousands on equipment over the last 6-months which I would not have done without AG. Absolute Sound drives me into retailers and listening rooms, helps educate me and helps create my wish list, but, AG helps me make it a reality. The result is that I spend far more $$ on equipment...which by the way, drives me to buy absurd amounts of source material through acousticsounds, etc...
jedhartman
Sorry if it's already been said, did not read all the replies. I think it's definitely not bad. It's a community that perpetuates people's interests in audio equipment and also attracts others to the hobby. I remember a study at the height of the illegal music download hype (actually, that is still going on, isn't it?) showing that songs heavily trafficked illegally online actually had their legal sale increase, not decrease as a consequence. Such studies are very hard to do, yes, and prone to all sorts of errors, but it does make sense that this type on online trading community works to some extent as advertisement and popularization for the industry.
I would happily spend my money at Essential Audio. I just spent 2000 at Magnolia hifi in Los Angeles. One point that I was trying to make is shops should be welcoming us into their doors as foot traffic is a good thing. We may not spend money every time we go into their doors but we do spend money. And of course I agree that nobody should be wasting people's time. If you are buying off the used market, there is much advice and reviews to be had on line as well. Maybe audio shops should have a button at the front door that says, "I am an audiophile, please be kind." lol
I think its a bit smug to say you basically use stores for demo then go buy from the net, you should come clean with them and pay them some fee for your "education" as I doubt you would like it dont to you and your business. I buy here and also pay what dealers charge and love the service and relationship a dealer offers
As far as trade, how can you prove this either way especially since there are used markets for everything. I can say that it doesn't contribute to the GNP.
Audiogon forums definitely help everyone because it allows communications and shared experiences and raises everyones level of understanding which is something that an independent audio industry will never be able to provide. Do you think the used car dealers are bad for new car dealers or the automakers? Now that I think about it, maybe we should leave the automakers out of this!
For the record I did note OP stated he was misread but all the same my point was in general to those who agree with exact or similar behaivior. Its too bad so many dont have a great store to deal with or things may be alot different.
Audiogon is a great place to buy and meet/network but it would be here if not for dealers previous efforts and these guys need our support if justified. I think that the end of Brick and Mortar will be like death of physical music being that the net will leave us all a bit empty inside wether it be a file to simply listen to or no actual store to check out.