Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Hi Chris - Yes I have a good memory. When we first imported a pile of ET2's we had in the shop an ET1. There was a big debate at the time that the ET2 had less bottom end than the ET1. The ET1 has a fixed counterweight. My business partner preferred the counterweight bolted up as per the ET1, but I found that gave a one note bottom end, lacking speed and articulation.
I experimented with the counterweight coupling and other ET2 mods quite extensively not only with a variety of TT's including Sota Star Vacuum, Townsend Rock, Roksan, Oracle and Final Audio TT, but also a variety of speakers including Martin Logan CLS, Apogees, Proac EBS, Proac Tablettes, Duntech's, vintage Tannoy Monitor Golds and many others - over the last 30 years.
Also have run the ET2 specifically with a wide variety of cartridges including Madrigal Carnegie, various Koetsu's, Van den hul Grashopper, Shinnon Red, Sumiko Talismans/Virtuoso's, Shure V15VMR, Denon 103 Garrott, Benz Reference and many others I've long forgotten.
I have also seen enough off centre cantilevers to last a lifetime from the misapplication of both tangential and pivoted arms.

Dover
As you said we will never agree on this.

The difference is that I have tried both light and heavy ETs. As far as I can tell, I am the only one who has done that. If so, I am the only person here who can speak with any authority on the subject.

People are free to try, it is entirely their choice. Install an alternate cheap cartridge, play a record you don't like, if you are that worried about damage to same. Your scaremongering may have dissuaded people from trying a simple reversible mod, which is a pity since we could have advanced the collective knowledge of this diverse group. And isn't that exactly what these forums are for?
“para 1 - not obvious to everyone.”

Why not, there are only 2 words to understand: ‘modified ET2.’

“Adding lead mass creates higher inertia but does NOT retard motion.”

Yes it does, more energy is required to activate the system.

You’re banging on about lead mass and inertia as though it is a random activity.

Required mass (and its related inertia) will be cartridge specific, so isn’t it simplistic to state or imply that no mass should be added to an ET.
Thank you Chris, Dover, Richard, and all for the fascinating data, opinions, and food for thought. I continue to enjoy the, admittedly, subtle effects of using a single weak magnet with my ET.

I can't claim to understand the physics involved well enough to give a thorough explanation of what happened in my particular case, but I have to concur with Dover about the concerns over added mass. In my case, it was not mass in the spindle, but a case of too much mass at the "headshell" and cartridge itself. A few years ago I managed to destroy the suspension on one of my VDH cartridges by applying too many bits of Blu-tac to a "naked" MC1, and to the top of the headshell in an attempt to dampen a cartridge that sounded overly aggressive in the highs. It worked to smooth out the ragged highs, but within days, experienced a collapsed suspension. The cartridge was properly balanced and setup at the appropriate VTF.

****Does damping not mean - reduce, diminish, dull - to a point that reduces some of “vinyl’s nasties”, caused mostly in this case with the ET2 tonearm – the off center hole - but we want to do this without taking away too much from the music itself ?**** -Chris

In the endless debate about wether footers, pads, etc. have a beneficial effect on music playback accuracy, I have always contended that, in absolute terms, it is not possible to overdamp a component's resonances by adding mass. Added mass can only be a good thing; in theory. While it may be possible to tweak the resonances to suit a particular system or listener's tastes, eliminating/controlling resonances can only be a good thing for a component's electrical performance, if not it's role in a given "system" (including the listener's ears) which is functioning in the electrical domain. But, it seems to me that in the case of a tonearm, we are not talking about simple resonances, but how added or removed mass affects the movement and stability-in-motion of the arm/cantilever "system". Sorry for possibly stating the obvious, but it helps me to make better sense of all this. Thanks again for a most interesting discussion.
Frogman.
I enjoyed your post, thankyou. How much blutac did you add to the headshell? By way of comparison I have added a net 0.77gm to the headshell of the ET2. (Lead in, teflon out.) Not a lot of extra weight.

On damping... If it is not meant to move, make sure it doesn't.

To everyone..I'm sure that you have experienced this. Last night's listening was great. All the planets seemed to align. So what causes this? Clean power? Just the right room temp, humidity? My own state of mind? Off topic, I know, but I am curious to read your views on this.

thanks
Richard.