How Much Does Damage Affect Value?

I purchased a "mint" amp, cost roughly $1100. Well, packing was inadequate and the unit suffered corner damage on the faceplate during shipping. The damage is not a deal killer for me, but it is there. The unit was originally a 8/10, now I guess it would be a 6/10, though other than this blemish it is quite nice with next to no sign of wear. What would be a fair de-rate to the value?
smata67
The unit is an Aragon 8008BB and the faceplate is no longer available. Here are some photos of the unit and box.

http://img411.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img411/3919/1246092388sds.smil
Well, too bad about the damage, looks like the seller missed one of the pieces of padding and if that correlated to where the damage is, then what it is worth comes down to what the two of you agree on. I would generally consider the front faceplate to be significant and worth maybe 20% so ~$200 off. You'll have to negotiate with the seller for what seems acceptable to both of you. For $900 I would consider it a good buy, for $1,100 in that shape I wouldn't.

Just my 0.02.
I think the above suggestions are adequate fair and responsible... if no other recourse is available. ie., the cariier.

Everytime, and I do mean everytime, a carrier will submit it is the fault of poor packing. It's just what they do the majority of the time. it's like their default answer to any claim.

I even know of an occasion in which the carrier said it was due to poor packing, and the carrier did the packing! They failed to notice the checked box on the shipping bill where they had provided the service.

Carriers, I think, feel a package should be able to withstand a drop from a tenth story window right onto the street below.

Not trying to mitigate for the packer/seller, just some alternative thinking.