How Much Does Damage Affect Value?

I purchased a "mint" amp, cost roughly $1100. Well, packing was inadequate and the unit suffered corner damage on the faceplate during shipping. The damage is not a deal killer for me, but it is there. The unit was originally a 8/10, now I guess it would be a 6/10, though other than this blemish it is quite nice with next to no sign of wear. What would be a fair de-rate to the value?
smata67
It looks to me that the amp was damaged before shipping as the original packing foam was used so possibly this is phony damage claim scam. Send it back don't get involved in a damage claim!!! I didn't once and am sorry I kept the unit!!!
The photos do not show any damage to the shipping box. The box would have sustained obvious damage that correlates to the position of the good sized ding on the faceplate. IMO, there would have been a hole in the box. Is there any damage to the shipping box?

If the shipping foam fit snugly, which would indicate it was the original packing material, then I agree with Samhar that it is unlikely the damage occurred during the shipment of the amp to you, and therefore it's possible the damage was pre-existing.
Looking at the package - it looks like it was double boxed with the original foam correctly in place which would NOT be inadequate. I don't quite see how the damage could have happened though the box or I am missing something on your pictures.
I see there are a few Ellery Queen fans out there. Yes, there are a couple of things that don't add up here. When I first opened the box, I noticed the unit had shifted out of its right foam holder towards the left and the feet on the right side were directly on the cardboard box bottom. You can see the indentations they left in the photograph of my previously posted slideshow of crime scene photos. If you still think that this puny foam provides adequate protection for a 75 pound weight, please leave the room. The left side, where the damage was done, therefore, would need to be snug in its foam holder, and it was. My initial conclusion was that the seller had damaged it by dropping it while packing (his photos were legitimate and showed an intact unit outside of its point of use) and my first communication to him suggested that was the case. His response was that the unit was perfect, as it was in his posted photos, when he packed it and that the damage must have occurred during shipping. For that to have happened, the box would have had to hit a hard surface with the side facing the front of the unit downward. Also, the unit would have had to, on impact, be cocked just a bit and outside of its foam holder so that the left front edge would hit the floor through the two layers of cardboard. The faceplate of this unit has a triangular profile with the peak at the switch location, that is why you see the damage at that location. The angle of attack of the crushed face (which, by the way is plastic) suggests this is how it hit the surface, if you look at it from the side, you don't see the damage, the worst of it faces front. To have caused that much damage, I would certainly expect to see a crushed portion of cardboard at the location of impact in roughly the shape of the damage. It is not there. I've attached two additional photos, one from the inside of the box at the location where the unit would have had to have come out of its holder and impact the box and one from the front where you would expect a crush mark near the word "VOLTAGE.". Neither of these seem to me to indicate that they were subjected to the trauma one would expect from such an incident. The left side foam holder at this location though, is cracked and crushed a bit, whereas all the other portions of both holders are intact. Could the unit have been crushed and not leave a mark on the cardboard? Most likely not, but stranger things do and have happened. Only one person knows for sure.

Regardless of whether the damage was done just before shipping or during shipping, it is there and I now own the unit. The seller has credited $200 as we agreed. I'm not happy about the experience, it was totally unnecessary. I am particularly annoyed about the fact that I advised the seller to pack the box in another box lined with insulation or peanuts, which is how I ship stuff worth 1/20 of the value of this unit and he ignored the advice. He had it shipped to him as was shipped to me and it arrived intact, so the extra work was not necessary, he claimed. There was another UPS label on the box, so this was the case. Clearly, he got lucky the first go around. If the box would have been properly packed, then there would be no question as to when the damage, if it showed up at all, happened.

The damage appears to be entirely cosmetic, I've enjoyed the unit for the last two days and everything I've put through it sounds great which was not the case most of the time with the Adcom. I'm also rediscovering how poorly recorded so many of my CDs truly are. On to the next crisis!

Photo Link:
http://img199.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img199/3548/1246161063ix7.smil
get your money back. the damage is not your fault or responsibility. the insurance settlement is between the seller and the shipper. move on and get what you've paid for. offering you 20% when you have to buy another amp to replace the front is not acceptable.