How Much Does Damage Affect Value?

I purchased a "mint" amp, cost roughly $1100. Well, packing was inadequate and the unit suffered corner damage on the faceplate during shipping. The damage is not a deal killer for me, but it is there. The unit was originally a 8/10, now I guess it would be a 6/10, though other than this blemish it is quite nice with next to no sign of wear. What would be a fair de-rate to the value?
smata67
Smata,

If their is internal damage as well and the seller didn't insure it (and you asked) you should have your money refunded, FWIW I don't think any one shipper is much better than any other, the heavy items (like amps) simply tolerate 'acceptable' falls worse than lighter units, simple physics really, but....
The UPS Store that shipped it told me that even the postal service is subcontracting out work to UPS, especially the harder to handle, overweight items like this, so it may be true that it does not make a difference who you ship it with, it may end up in UPS's slippery hands.

The BB model is particularly subject to damage because the transformers are stacked and secured with a threaded rod. If it falls face or back first, there is quite a bit of moment at the end of the rod, that upper transformer will shift quite a bit being 20 lbs or so. A package situation whereas there are successive layers of softer to harder packing materials 8" thick or more would be needed to slow this unit down on impact to avoid shock damage.

I have no reason to doubt the sellers intention to refund me the money. Anyway, the transaction was through Paypal via credit card which offers a dispute process that can result in a charge back to the card.
did the UPS store pack it or just ship it? if the former, as far as I am aware, they guarantee their packing to be to UPS standards.
I believe the UPS Store owner told me the seller had asked his opinion of the package when it was brought in and he felt it was acceptable. For normal handling and drops from lets say 2' or so, the original manufacturer's packaging would be fine, but apparently UPS has to drop their packages from 4' and above as part of their service. I read somewhere that if the packaging cannot survive 4' drop, then UPS would deem it unacceptable, in which case I'd have to agree, it would not survive that kind of drop. Very risky to ship this particular item because of the transformer layout I described.