Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
ET1 and ET2 Trivia Question.

How many ET1 and ET2 tonearms had been produced and sold by the mid 80’s ?

Any idea on the ET1 versus ET2 sold ratio ?
Hi Chris

“Can you guys recommend a good cabernet sauvignon from ‘downunder’ that will not break the bank and is safe?”

After decades of research (not backed by multiple degrees mark you), I can offer an opinion that might help (I won’t say satisfy, as one man’s wine might be another man’s poison, thus safety not guaranteed, but works for me!

We (myself + TSO - The Significant Other), are fond of rich, fruity, gutsy Australian reds. Gutsy, as in full bodied – I can’t bear rough stuff.

What has become a staple is Taylors Shiraz, preferably 3 to 5 yrs old (if you can keep your mitts off it that long) and warm, not cold, temp wise. Don’t sweat over, ‘Oh it’s not Cab Sav,’ we’ve drunk a lot of that also.

Warning: you will enjoy life a lot more.

Whether your arm is lead augmented, or made of balsa wood or unobtanium, or setup according to celestial directives, becomes less important. You will not be very likely to write epistle length diatribes.

BTW, so you aren’t confused in future, I’m thinking of acquiring an alias (false name): BenDover.
John47
The thread is about the ET2. Your facetious comments demonstrate that you have no respect for the designer of the tonearm and clearly do not understand and are not interested in how it works. Not for one second could anyone consider you to be an audiophile.
I have converted. To an out “e” from and in “e”
The attached pic shows my temp setup before/after - along with the lowered lead weights as well.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1365100316.jpg

The pic is at a bit of angle and not horizontal.

It’s a subtle change with the lead weights in the positioning but musically very evident in my room. I increased the VTF by doing this and had to move the weights back. I also had the wiring off the armtube totally and it sounded good but I felt it was an incident waiting to happen with me personally. Especially with those Downunder wines.

I did a crude braid on the wiring in the photo only to the end of the armtube. They are then separated. They affect the arm less this way.

I knew there were two things for sure in life I was no good at. Tying a tie and making a smooth bed. Now I know there are three. Making a nice braid. Will ask my daughter for help with the braiding when she comes home from university. My wife is just shaking her head. She has learned to stay 6 feet away from the turntable at all times.

Fwiw –

From my own personal experiences a happy face loop works better than an upside down one for ET2, ET 2.5 as they are designed to be free and IMO it has less effect on the tonearm.

The upside down loops I have used all forced me to use more rigid materials for support and affected arm movement.

One example of this with me.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1325532980.jpg

The air tube and wiring are part of other air bearing tonearm designs for damping as we have learned here. Choose your own poison.

I also position my preamp higher than the wires right next to them so there is a natural happy face loop going to it.

Cheers
John47
What has become a staple is Taylors Shiraz, preferably 3 to 5 yrs old

Thanks for the recommendation John !

Guys - I will reveal the answer to the trivia questions tomorrow morning. Any guesses ?

Dover - you probably know the answer as you were a dealer/distributor - don't give the answer away.

Cheers