Output tube radiation exposure - thoughts?

Anyone out there give much thought to vacuum tube radiation exposure, especially the larger transmitting styles? I'm not sure what distances constitute a potential hazard and taking into account the effectiveness of standard tube cages if present. I recall it was considered a serious topic by some but not all of the ship's radio operators I sailed with in the past. Your impressions / experiences pls.
vonhakemarine
Case settled then? Good... now I need to get myself a tube amp again... I have a nice 6C33C project that is progressing to slowly for my taste- need to have a stainless steel chassis CNC'ed.

I like tubes!!
OK, good enough, case settled.
Going from a Rotel to a hand built 6C33C tube amp on a stainless chassis - that's awesome. Why screw around with all the baby steps to climb the audiophile ladder when you can just get it all done right at once the first time? I hope it comes out great.
Honest1 & Viridian

The Rotel is just a temporary measure. I used to have a great audiophile amplifier but I had to give it up do to certain reasons.

I also had a set of QUAD mkII amps in the past - they were awesome.

Viridian, the chassis is going to be a bit complex and thus needed to be cut with a CNC plasma cutter. I want an ultra-professional look (a la EAR... Jadis etc).
Thanks for all the informative responses, especially the electronic history, and good listening to you all...