Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Spock15
I currently own an ET2, Naim Aro & Hadcock unipivot and have just sold off my Bluenote Borromeo ( Titanium tubed unipivot ).
I hear a crisper articulation of the leading edge with all three unipivots. It's not large. The Aro is better in this regard than the Bluenote & Hadcock. I do agree with you that effective mass, both horizontal and vertical contribute to the "squarewave".
With regard to the high horizontal mass the standard ET2 has a very high horizontal effective mass as standard ( 25g plus the weight of the cartridge ) compared to a pivoted arm.
Richardkrebs has advocated adding 60+g of horizontal mass by adding lead to the bearing spindle and removing the decoupling mechanism of the counterweight. With the ET2 the decoupling of the counterweight is part of the strategy to keep horizontal mass not too high.
Bruce Thigpen has measured, not theorised, actually measured on the ET2 a 6-12db lift in bass response when increasing the horizontal effective mass by 30g ( removing the decoupling ). From what I have actually heard, in a real system, since I have owned an ET2 from the mid 80's, increasing the mass slugs the sound and robs the music of musical pace and timing. Most of the contributors on this thread ( Frogman, Slaw, Ct0517 & myself )have found big improvements when carefully tuning the decoupled counterweight, as predicted by Bruce's testing.
By the way I still own a Dynavector 501 which has a very high horizontal effective mass, and whilst the bass is quite punchy, the musical timing, soundstaging, and resolution is well down on both my Naim Aro and Fidelity Research FR64S ( yes I own 2 of these as well ).
What an extraordinary hobby this is. RK and I share this wonderful aluminum ET2 Gooseneck that he made - I really like it.

At this current (snapshot) in time however;

RK’s tonearm objective is adding more control and damping to his Krebs Arm.

I meanwhile am trying to figure out how to go wireless with my ET 2.5.

Think Free Willy !

Maybe my IT background biases are showing. With that the damping fluid should be coming early next week with the adhesive tape. Look forward to trying it again after all these years.

Welcome to the thread Spock15. Listing what your air bearing and pivot arms are would be nice to those of us reading for reference.

Thekong has provided some excellent perspective between the Rockport and ET2.

Hi TheKong – were you able to find the lead to make the counterweights at those tire shops ?

Look forward to Rugyboogie providing perspective with the Kuzma Airline and ET2 soon – Congrats on getting an ET2 - RB.

Now we need a Swedish fellow or gal :^) to come on here to help provide perspective on the Air Tangent and ET2. Maybe I will look for one (Air Tangent) to close this loop. However no remote control version for me.

As I type this Ottawa to Toronto area of Ontario experienced a 4.8 earthquake – a little shakey.
As I type this Ottawa to Toronto area of Ontario experienced a 4.8 earthquake – a little shakey.

Sort of like my JMW 12 unipivot. :^)
One is usually coloured/informed by past experience. Coincidentally, I have a couple of FR64S's myself & you reminded me of the Hadcock GH228 that I have gathering dust.

Another recent unipivot, an Apparition 12" superseded the above. A very fine performer, to the extent that I have had little compunction to A/B with the older arms. A very top shelf pivoted tonearm in my humble experience.

Nothing is perfect in this game (audio & life in general ;)) but with my linear tracker (a Trans Fi terminator) I find the combined qualities of genuine low distortion, wide bandwidth, dynamic stability...are overall most persuasive. Are these attributes typical of linear trackers? I can't be sure at this point.

Regarding Effective Mass...with record groove modulations cut at 45deg, as we know, I think it's not entirely useful I think to dwell on Effective Mass in terms of horiz & vert properties.
Cheers.
Dover
I do wish you would stop repeating your fundamental error ad nauseum.
BT measured a rise in response of 6-12 db at the resonant frequency. Say 3 to 8 hz. I don't call these frequencies bass.
Bruce measurements show that this rise in response is reduced by 8db with the addition of an oil trough. This in test conditions which used a deliberately high Q and a low compliance cart. The amplitude of resonance decreases the further you move away from Fr. BT suggests that resonance effects frequencies up to 3xFr.
My rigs Fr is just above 5hz, almost 4 times lower than what is normally accepted to be the lower bass, 20hz.

There is no rise in bass response in my system.