Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Correction: the review I posted was not Stereophile. It was Audio magazine, 1987, reviewer Edward M Long.

Dover: "Back in December last year I posted a postulation that one could consider mounting the cartridge slightly forward of the tangent line."

I don't believe you "posted a postulation."

You reacted to information known since Edward Long published it in the measurements section of his Audio review, year 1987 (that channel synchronization wasn't achieved until an overhang of .125 in was used).

I phoned Bruce Thigpen on the issue in 1987 ie overhang, and channel synchronization.

He said "He's probably right. I was aware of this, and should have, but never pursued it further."

We assume, I suppose, on this thread, that BT can solve all problems, but he has fingers in other pies.
John47 - We assume, I suppose, on this thread, that BT can solve all problems, but he has fingers in other pies.

No not really John - check the original post for this thread.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1325551242&&&/Eminent-Technology-ET-2-Tonearm-Owners

Its asking for ways (as a team)to improve the tonearm.

My personal definition of a great design is one that can be tweaked and made better without changing the basic design.

With that I have tremendous respect for people that think outside of the box and don’t follow the herd. Are willing to take some chances.

In this audio hobby with my personal experiences I could name maybe 4 or 5 individuals including BT. I believe we all have this list of people from our own experiences?

Cheers

06-17-13: John47
Correction: the review I posted was not Stereophile. It was Audio magazine, 1987, reviewer Edward M Long.
Dover: "Back in December last year I posted a postulation that one could consider mounting the cartridge slightly forward of the tangent line."
You reacted to information known since Edward Long published it in the measurements section of his Audio review, year 1987 (that channel synchronization wasn't achieved until an overhang of .125 in was used).
John47 - it would be helpful if you read my posts more carefully.

This is precisely what I wrote -
Back in December last year I posted a postulation that one could consider mounting the cartridge slightly forward of the tangent line. The theory is that if you are running at the tangent then there are no lateral forces on the stylus and it will “chatter”, slowly eroding the high frequency grooves over time.
The postulation has nothing to do with the Audio article on timing differences - it is about possible tracking issues at tangent due to the lack of lateral forces on the cantilever.
This is similar to olden days cars that had kingpins in the front steering - drive in a straight line and the wheels wobble, but as soon as you turn the steering wheel off centre, then the wheels stop wobbling and start tracking securely.

The following paragraph on the timing differences between channels highlighted in the Audio article is a different issue, albeit one that has the same possible remedy of running forward of the tangent.

So when you said
You reacted to information known since Edward Long published it in the measurements section of his Audio review
you are wrong.
Dover: "The theory is that if you are running at the tangent then there are no lateral forces on the stylus and it will “chatter”, slowly eroding the high frequency grooves over time."

The theory - its A theory.

I'm fully aware of engineer Tony Kriletich's ideas (as above).
He suggested running with overhang in the eighties.

I recently received my magnesium armtube from Bruce.
Here is a picture that shows some big differences between the magnesium versus aluminum armtubes

What is not so obvious in the pictures is how much beefier the head shell is on the mag tube.

Cheers