Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Richard – interesting findings – thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about that glass armtube. Would have liked to see a picture of that one.
Chris.
Yes the glass arm was special. I used magnesium from a broken aeroplane wheel hub to mill the headshell. Slotted mounting holes to facilitate correct cartridge alignment.

I have one of the slate TT's somewhere in storage in the attic. Will see if I can find it amongst the detritus of time, maybe post some pics.
Dover, you wrote regarding Richardkrebs (and Chris/Ct0517 when he changed to his magnesium arm wand, as they used the same methodology) ....

"I see very little science and no concrete evidence to support your observations."

With all due respect, would you please articulate what 'science and concrete evidence' you apply in similar situations.
Imo – the only thing an amateur (hobbyist / audiophile / music lover) can do is to keep to the golden rule.

Change only one variable at a time.

As an amateur I only need to please myself. I am selfishly in this hobby for me only. I am also my own worst enemy. I know this.

I have known amateur audio friends in the past - who seemed to want to please their friends more.

Now - if I wanted to analyze what I did and tried to put some science at it.

Going back to the post about materials ability to pass sound/resonances.

Higher number being easier to pass – lower meaning it hinders.

I went from a Carbon Fibre wrap aluminum armwand with a Teflon insert.

carbon fibre......30, all plastics......1-4, aluminium.........17

to a heavier Magnesium armwand.

magnesium.........10

everything else stayed the same.
Yes indeed Chris, that is a time honoured method, and can satisfy oneself.

But not Dover - it lacks 'science and concrete evidence.'