Eminent Technology ET-2 Tonearm Owners

Where are you? What mods have you done ?

I have been using these ET2's for over 9 years now.
I am still figuring them out and learning from them. They can be modified in so many ways. Bruce Thigpen laid down the GENIUS behind this tonearm over 20 years ago. Some of you have owned them for over 20 years !

Tell us your secrets.

New owners – what questions do you have ?

We may even be able to coax Bruce to post here. :^)

There are so many modifications that can be done.

Dressing of the wire with this arm is critical to get optimum sonics along with proper counterweight setup.

Let me start it off.

Please tell us what you have found to be the best wire for the ET-2 tonearm ? One that is pliable/doesn’t crink or curl. Whats the best way of dressing it so it doesn’t impact the arm. Through the spindle - Over the manifold - Below manifold ? What have you come up with ?
128x128ct0517
Dover.
Ketchup, me and probably others are still waiting for some pics of the aluminium goose neck and hopefully the titanium wand from you.

Look forward to this.
Dover
Having a titanium arm tube sitting around somewhere unused, you must be highly satisfied with the one piece gooseneck a la Krebs, and aluminium armtube.

What difference did you hear when you went to a one piece gooseneck a la Krebs?

Give me a convenient time and I'll come round and photograph the titanium wand: many will be interested (you could also let me know how much you want for it).
Dear Leon, Firstly just get rid of the flimsy & unstable suspension of that Studio (it´s floating not hanging) and you´ll be facing hugely improved performance level of that great DD TT. You can also tame the springs but it would be better to take them away altogether. Your Goldmund deserves this tweak.
Best regards
you could also let me know how much you want for it

may I suggest a public auction for the titanium armwand...as this thread is now over 420k views I think there may be interest in the titanium piece? The bidding method should fetch I believe the best price for Dover if he is interested in selling.

If I may start bidding at 100 Canadian loonies....(without pictures). I blame this ridiculous starting bid on the relentless pounding my ears have been taking from the crazy bird - the Loon, croaking of bullfrogs, wolves howling, hooting of owls, and the splash of jumping sm bass .. on the end of my line. must be delirious.

Look forward to seeing the pics...

Received two more emails from folks interested in the aluminum gooseneck and one of them wants two of them. Surely there must be a CAD person reading here that can help us out.

Firstly just get rid of the flimsy & unstable suspension of that Studio (it´s floating not hanging) and you´ll be facing hugely improved performance level of that great DD TT. You can also tame the springs but it would be better to take them away altogether. Your Goldmund deserves this tweak.

HNTB
This hobby being what it is - I would be curious if you polled 10 Goldmund owners who felt they had dialed this table in, how the split would be - springs and without ?

Cheers
Dear Ct 0157 (Feel like I'm in Star Wars here...)
& Dear Harold...

Thanks a mill for all the feedback, I'm digesting it all as I'm setting up the TT & ET, had some help getting started from an ET owner as some parts were missing or imperfect, a huge help thanks Gerald!

Have to do a few more mods to the Studio platform, possibly a hole for the air hose to allow free movement for the arm without causing bending stress etc.

I've had some Cardas interconnects made up, will probably hardwire the V D Hul cable from the ET to avoid contacts, with sufficient play, using an old MM magnet just to get started, so many things to learn here!

I can see where your critical comment re Studio springs come from, but surely they are intended to decouple the arm from vibrations? What would you use instead please, I'm definitely interested as I can see how much they move with the arm sliding...

Many Thanks, hope to get music out of there soon which is ultimately the objective!

Best LK