small companies making today's best products

i think the audio research, conrad johnson, rolamd, mcintosh, monster cable, esoteric, etc., are superseded in sound quality by many small independent companies which operate direct to the consumer.

most of the comments praising components of different types seem to mention small companies, who do not have dealer networks. why ?

perhaps innovation with out marketing or other constraints enables creativity and thinking outside the box to flourish.

when i consider my own system, i own cables from small companies, digital components from a medium sized and well known company, and an amplifier from a well known company as well as another amp and preamp designed by a retired professor from canada.
mrtennis
The cachet of unknown companies. Romance in the audiophile world.
That you notice these comments because you like small companies.
I do not have any interest in small companies and startups. so for me they mean nothing, and i seldom notice them mentioned, just as you notice them all the time.
I buy products from the maninstream of audiophile goods:
Audio research
Bryston
magnepan
B&W
Adcom
Denon
Rega
Benz
Furman
PS Audio
Canton
Dynavector
Kimber
Sony
The few items i own from small companies:
Kuzma (strictly for the unique brass pipe design of the TT)
VAC (coincidence, wanted a tube pre cheap enough, The VAC was in the right place at the right time)
Pangea (cheap)
Lil'Dot (cheap)
I would call it different strokes for different folks.
i think those middle/large companies offer the best of innovation and technological superiority.
I cannot concur with Elizabeths statement. I patronage companies such as Wavelength and Doshi. They offer ultra excellent personal service, as in getting back to you that day! Not to mentioning unsurpassed producting, IMO. Try getting Western Electric to call you back.....