Complete 2.0 System for Under $3k?

Hi, I am new to the forums and relatively new to higher end audio so am looking for advice on the best way to construct a system on my budget.

I am trying to assemble a turntable, speakers, amplifier and anything else that I may need for under $3,000. I do not mind a mix of new / used equipment as long as it is relatively easy to find.

What would you recommend?

Appreciate the help!
gehrm
Hi, Elizbeth:
"The MAIN thing is to buy what you find, instead of a list you have to buy"
Okay, but the gent may not have a friend like you hanging around, so... given your well-known expertise, how about some more specific guidance for him? - e.g., what would you be looking for in a good set of phono stuff, what relative portion of your budget would you expect to spend, say, on tonearm vs table vs cartridge in this discounted price range; would you even consider buying a used cartridge as a novice, and even, god forbid, not in list form, what are some examples of good deals you might have seen around in the past?
Sorry for the typo above. The Rega RP1 is $640 with the "performance pack." Not sure how big a difference it makes, but that's how I heard it.
Not enough information to give any meaningful advice. Your room, your music preferances etc.?
At first glance, I would say that $3k is either too much or too little for the first purely analog set-up.
In any case, I would probably start with speakers.
Vienna Bach Grand, NAD Integrated or Onkyo A-9555 both with phono, Music Hall MMF-7. Discovery or Mapleshade cables.
Yes, we need more. Size of room, music tastes, loud or moderate volume, can you deal with tubes, stay away from tubes, like bass, lots of bass, is a remote a must...

We can help you if you just give us some additional information.