Room treatments - GIK Vs Acoustimac

Folks,
I would like to hear from you, opinions on treatments available from GIK and Acoustimac. I am leaning towards GIK, cause I have read nothing but very good user reviews on them. And in one such review I came across Acoustimac panels. Researched them and found that they make acoustic panels using the same material that GIK uses, but at much lesser price points. They also give you the option of buying 1 panel at a time. They are the only ones that have some eco-panels, albeit at a slightly higher price point.
128x128milpai
After going through the internet, I did find out a reason why GIK does not have backing panels. They are of the opinion that leaving a gap is necessary for the panel to be more effective. They think that without the backing panel, the panels will have natural gap when mounted on the wall. Some other experts also agree that leaving a gap between the panel and the walls is desirable.
Mofimadness,GIK does not put their acoustic treatments in a wood frame except the corner traps.The edges are left bare for greater absorbtion .Those that are well read agree with the master handbook of acoustics that leaving a space behind(off the wall) of the panel increases it's effectiveness.This is not an opinion but a scientific fact that can be measured and verified.Again,GIK uses 8lbs/ft material and I am not even sure if 703 comes in a 2 inch thickness,this is not what they use.If you are really interested in acoustic treatments and applications I suggest you get a copy of the master handbook of acoustics.It is a great read and highly recommended .No voodoo,magic,or alien technology just,comparing Gik and Acoustimac with eachother ,they are not apples to apples.If you are really interested you could talk to Glenn at Gik and he can verify what lbs/ft they use,etc.Their specs are listed on the website.
I own GIK acoustics 242, and 244 panels as well as monster bass traps and tri traps. All of them are wood framed. There is a space behind the acoustic material. Purchased them new last year. I have never auditioned the others, but find theGIK panels to be effective.
02-28-12: Csmgolf
"I own GIK acoustics 242, and 244 panels as well as monster bass traps and tri traps. All of them are wood framed."

Be careful. On my 244s, bought last year as well, there is a 1" (perhaps) wood frame that goes around the back, not around the sides. The panel is maybe 6" thick: 5" is the absorbing material, and 1" is the wood frame that causes the 1" gap between the panel and wall.
IOW - If you lay the panel face down and put a 1" x 1" frame around the edge of the back face.
(all measurements are guesses, give or take a couple of inches)
Mofimadness,I stand corrected that GIK does put their treatments in a frame,however the main point is the space behind the panel provides for greater low frequency absortion and the lbs/cubic ft (8 for GIK and 4 for Acousitmac)also is better for low frequency absorption. They say get the base right and all else follows.GIK does a better job at this than Acoustimac . As per my original statement one is good the other better.A DIY person can get or build the frames themselves but the spacing and the 8lbs/cu.ft. is the must have if you want the better of the two.