In defense of quantum products.

There are many audio products that have the word quantum in their name. The brand names Synergistic Research, Bybee and Kemp and Audio Magic come to mind. There are others.

Frankly, some of the explanations for these products are difficult for me to understand. I understand the general theory of quantum physics but when it comes to the details I often find myself getting lost very quickly. Are the explanations offered up by makers of quantum products accurate or not? And does it really matter? Is audio about understanding what manufacturers say or about enjoying the music?

Personally, I am only concerned whether the product works in my system. If the explanation is satisfactory but it does not deliver I could not care less about the theories offered in their defense. Happily, I have been lucky with products from Synergistic Research, Bybee and Audio Magic. I have not used any Kemp products yet.

What have your experiences been with quantum products?
sabai
I've been fortunate to have had friends lend me tweeks, high priced wires, IC's, bricks, stones, elevators, and the like, and NONE of them made any difference in sound at all. I'm just happy I spent my money on better equipment. Adding subs, a different set of speakers, eq's, going from SS to Tubes and things like that will make a difference in sound, but to me all of the tweeks mentioned are just a ripoff. Nice to see RW got a refund, and didn't have to learn the hard way, or fool himself into thinking the tweeks were working. Just enjoy the stereo.
I just sent an intergalatical tweak for free. If you like the changes it made in your system, send me $29.99 and I'll send you the deluxe version.
Getting back to the OP in “quantum “ products, here’s my 2 cents worth. I started messing with “tweaks” back in the late 70’s. My first tweak were the Discwasher “Gold-ends” which were interconnects with gold plated RCAs and a better wire. Egads! They improved the sound of my them system (Yamaha C810, Braun L710, Garrard t-t).

As years passed, I tried other tweaks and eventually had to opportunity to audition/review some PLCs in no specific order: (Exact Power SP/EP, Blue Circle Music Ring 600, Silver Circle balanced power supply, Audio Magic Eclipse II, RSA Haley and Duke, Earthcalm Scalar, Powervar isolation t-former, Quantum Symphony Pro).

Out of these, the clear winners were the Quantum Symphony Pro and the Powervar. Interestingly, nothing plugged into the Symphony Pro, it just went into the wall and turned on.

Dealing with the Quantum Pro- I’ve posted this elsewhere, but my impressions were that it affected the “atmosphere” in the room. Shortly after plugging it in and with no music playing, my wife came into the room and commented how it “felt different” as in more relaxed. She didn’t know what I had done and looked around as if I had cleaned or rearranged something. Mind you, she rarely comments on how my system sounds so this was epic. My impression was the same and I’d opine these devices affect the person more than the electronics, but that’s just a guess.

I’ve quit trying to figure out the “how and why” these Quantum things do what they do and just learned to enjoy them.

Now, the price of these devices, especially the new Quantum Q4X, is a legit gripe, but 90+% of what’s being sold is way overpriced like $10K speakers with a driver cost of $400.00 and don’t ask about cabling.

I’m looking forward to some Q2X/Q4X to show up on A’gon. I’ll be snatching one if the price is right.