Nasty slap echo

When i clap my hands it sounds like the ricochet sound from a WW2 documentary. I have panels on 1st reflection points but doesn't help. My room is 15x8x22, which are "supposed" to be good dimensions. I did have them drop the crown molding down 4 inches to put rope lighting up there. Was wondering if that is causing the problem. How harmful is this slap echo to the sound? Any suggestions?
streetdaddy
Agree with above posters that it needs to be addressed and can be mostly with furniture and etc. I am using bookshelves, thick carpet, rugs on the wall, fake plants, stuffed animals, basically anything to absorb slap echo. I too have walked around clapping or yelling profanities to reveal problem areas. Eliminating the reverb is especially important with rock and pop IMO due congested and compressed nature of such. Because that's mainly the crap I listen to, I have found new life in mediocre mainstream music.
Well if it is where you sit to listen, then it is not such a problem, as the speakers are in some OTHER location.
Get someone to clap at the SPEAKER location while you sit in you listening area.. If you hear an echo THEN you have a big problem.

IMO no matter how hard we try, some echo is going to be around. IF you totally eliminate it, the room will KILL the sound and it will be all muffled and just be crap.
The point it to find some median where it comes together..
here are some pics of the room....[IMG]http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/streetdaddy/DSC_2500.jpg[/IMG]