Packaging Services

What service do you guys use to ship speakers,etc if you don't have the original boxes? I live near Chicago and would dread having my pristine speakers damaged in shipping. Any suggestions. Thanks, alot
jackmonster
I don't trust anyone to pack them but myself. There are a few places around that sell boxes. Uhaul has some good t ply boxes, and some of the better packing stores do too (not the UPS store). Buy Styrofoam insulation at hope depot for padding and cut it to size. If the speakers are big and heavy I would build a crate, or at least reinforce the box using 1/4" plywood.
Dimensions & weight of the speakers? I once bought a "dish-pack" box at U-haul for about $10; it would fit most speakers.

That is, except for large floor standers.....

Or, you could maybe have the local UPS store do it. I believe they charge a LOT, to have some 19 y.o. kid put 1 layer of bubble wrap over your 50 lb. item.....(true story).
Styrofoam is the best packing material bet, but first put the speakers in plastic bags. The foam should be layered so it is at least four inches thick on all sides and glued together so it does not move. Each speaker should be enveloped in Styrofoam and securely fastened with packing tape so nothing of the foam moves. After packing, double boxing is a must.