Damping sheets work

I read about tweaking the top cover of the Jolida JD9 phono preamp with damping sheets from Parts Express. Not only did they work great to dampen my Jolida's sheet metal, they work on all components. But for the BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT I used them to dampen the wood platform for my TT. I have my TT sitting on a wood platform which rests on top of Vibra-pods and cones, which is placed on top of a shelves for my lps. I applied the damping sheets to the underside of the wood platform, and it make a HUGE difference. Every aspect of my TT's sound improved.

The damping sheets are self adhering, and cost only $10 or so for (4) 12 x 12 sheets. I highly recommend you get some and experiment how it can improve your system's sound. Cheers.
tbromgard
I'm glad the damping worked on ur Jolida preamp, but there is such a thing as overdamping. I covered the top of my Jolida cdp and took the life out of it, so I quickly removed the material.
BUT, I too have found a major improvement in sound by damping the wood platform under my TT.
Hi Lowrider-Yes I read about concerns of over damping-but on TT shelf and sheet metal covers Im not sure there is such a thing. I can see how over damping might take the life out of the sound of a speaker, but why would it make such a big difference on a cd player I wonder?
Dont know why, Tbromgard, but the cdp lost it's open, airy sound. But wow, what an improvement on the wood shelf. (already had Herbies under the TT).