buying a stereo for my 16 yr. old

Anyone familiar with the teac reference series, the small gold faced little separates? The price seems to be dropping like a rock on this stuff and I was wondering if there was a good reason. Any input would be appreciated . Thanks.
winoguy17
My kids like the retro 60's and 70's stuff - Harmon Kardon,Fisher, Scott & Kenwood - All the lights and dials. AND Jane's Addiction will sound better than you may imagine on that old stuff! They're (the gear not the kids) inexpensive at your local garage sale and who cares if they get broken. A 16 yo should know what they like. Best if you let them make the choice....Good Luck
We have a Reference 100 system that we use in the kitchen. It is a very nice little system. We live in Northwest Indiana and can get most all of the Chicago and surrounding suburb radio stations on the tuner. The CD player does a real nice jobas well. We are very happy with the build and sound quality of this system. It beats the living crap out of the WaveRadio, I've listened to both. You will not be disappointed with your purchase. BTW, spend $10 and get better speaker cables. Good Luck, :~) Doug
A friend has the integrated it's pretty good. Lucky 16 yr. old ! I would look into the Swans powered monitors at av123.com or jonathan@goldmanaudio.com Which sound amazing for $299 and very fexible use with portable cd , dvd player or uhhg even a computer. The speakers that go along with all the other mini systems are crap. The little Denon with the mission speakers is the best of the lot. Have Fun
If you want cool check out Nakamichi Soundspace 8 that goes for about $1100. It has a subwoofer with satellite tweeters and a cd changer that holds 5 cd's. It is the coolest looking thing around and sure to appeal to a teenager.
Tell them to buy their own stuff, they will apprecite it much more :D. trust me i know,..im am around that age and have worked for a just over 2 grand system. Still going up of course. If they are really interested in the hobby, i would consider something like that, but if he/she only cares about something that will play music im sure anything with a remote and a cdp will do, and just think thats just that much more you can spend. :D

Happy Listening