Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
I own one original MC-275 and use it for many years. I then bought two re-issued MC-275 in the 90's and run them in mono 150W per channel for my Ediolon. I recently bought another pair of MC-275 and put them aside for safe keeping. Simply put, it has the best output transformer which is so critical for tube amp. It is magical when it is run in mono mode. I have owned many other amps before and they include VTL Ichiban, AudioResearch VT-100, Jadis JA-500a monoblock etc.. The output transformers of these amps are nothing compare to the technology of McIntosh. For pure 150Watt per channel it is value for money.
In my area exposure to some of the smaller names is hard to come by. I currently have and favor the McIntosh/Klipsch combination, mine being a ma6200 and klipsch forte's in one room, ma6100 with B&W 602 s3 in another, and a third room with another ma6100 and JBL SVA1800 with various sources such as Denon Rotel and Marantz cd players, Rega Dual and Thorens turntables, . Compared to other vintage equipment, Mac really cornered the market in my opinion. Newer stuff maybe less so. I've listened to some new Mac equipment compared to some other stuff such as Krell, Mark Levinson, Conrad Johnson, Jolida, Audio Research and I think there is better equipment out there than some of the current Mac units, but for the price you can get quality classic Mac equipment for, you would be stuck with lesser equipment if using that same amount of money on new stuff. I like McIntosh for a couple reasons, with limited funds, quality used equipment can be had, the look of Mac installed into an oak wall in a stereo closet is really impressive, and it has a large following which means service will be easier to come by.
I am a new Mc owner and just read all of this interesting thread. I can't comment on alot of the other gear that has been listed, but I can comment on what I own. I don't really consider myself an audiophile, but I do love good music. My problem is not knowing what sounds good to me, it is my very meager finances. Too many teenage kids and not enough income. I have tried to choose wisely in what I could afford, which was around $1000 for amp and speakers.

Anyway, I found locally 2 Mc MC40 monoblocks (yes, I know they are from the 60's) from a local expert tech. They have been his personal amps for the last 25 years. I also picked up a pair of Altec Model 17's (6048G's) 100db/watt/meter. I know these aren't regarded as audiophile gear by alot of uppercrust folks, but the music these put out is awesome to my ears. I love my Mc's and my Altecs. Total cash outlay was $750. I would gladly have a shootout with anyone elses $750 system.;o) I know most of you paid more for your cables than I have in my system, which I have no problem with, I would have spent more if I could. The point I am trying to make is we need to support everyone who has an interest in this wonderful hobby. When I have asked questions on here, rarely do people comment. Why is that? Am I too bottom crust since I can't afford the latest and greatest? Do I think McIntosh is the best? No. But it was the best I could afford and I love it. This hobby has way to many elitest that drive lots of people away. I still think it's all about the music, and my old vintage system makes great music to my ears. We need to support each other, especially the newbies. Yes, I am a newbie, but this is my perception of alot of what I read here.

Not intended to slam anyone, just hoping you very knowledgeable folks will take a newbie under your wing and help him enjoy his quest for better music.

Rant over, carry on!! ;o)

Peace out!!!
Holy crap! you got MC40s + speakers for $750!! Have you seen what MC40s can go for on Ebay or Agon? Man, I wish I could have gotten as luck as you. You can upgrade speakers and CD player for a LONG time before those amps will become the limiting factor. Many people would consider you elitest for having those amps!

Also, as a newbie, be careful not to trust your judgement too much. I found out through lots of experimentation that opinions are a moving target.
Aball, yeah I realize I got really lucky on the Mc's and speakers. I did do alot of looking, talking to people and following up on leads, but it seems to have paid off. I guess it goes to show that a blind squirrel does find an acorn every once in a while. I don't know if the upgrade bug will hit me, but for now, I am very happy with what I hear.

Take care!!