Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
I think the amps are okay but far overpriced, now McIntosh Preamps are where its at.. Very good for the most part and those super tuff systems that need a little "TLC" with tone controls benifit greatly. I have owned a Krell piece and to explain it sounded like a piece of Steel from the moon or something if that makes any sense in translating sound. Truely most mark levinson stuff is decent but more stereo sounding than organic or live, Krell well from the intergrated and preamps I owned now make me laugh, They do have a pretty sweet pair of speakers that run about 12000.00 a pair I believe, they are real solid like extruded aluminum and tall, sounded very nice, I think they were like scanspeak drivers or something, and I heard Krells 30000.00 sub, sure nice but for a 30000.00 sub I think I could buy about 10 of the best subs on the planet and really destroy some drywall.
The best thing I can say about McIntosh is that in the month+ since we purchased our MC7200 amp, I have not tweaked anything in our system. That has not happened in over two years! I was constantly looking for better sound, and for whatever reason, this amp has quieted that need. Consequently, my frustration with the system is also gone.

Last weekend, some friends and I took a drive to Amoeba Records in Berkeley, and I picked up 25 new CDs. Just enjoying the music, more than ever. As some have said, McIntosh is not for audiophiles. It's for music lovers. I happen to agree.
I never thought I would own any Mac because of my impression of mid-fi because so many mid-fi retailers have the line. Then I read the reviews on the newer stuff, 402, 501's, and the preamps and it tweaked my interest. I researched enough to go take a listen and compare amps. The 402's were very special, the 501's were just a notch better in every regard. Ultimately it came down to those 2 amps and the CJ 350 because I love CJ preamps and own a premier 14 .

I bought the 501's and paired them with Meridian front end, laid back, premier 14, a liitle laid back, and Thiel 3.6...the truth! and the combination is the best I've had in my room. Throw in MIT reference wire and I can't believe how good everything sounds. Boa...it put me where you are, listen to the music, not the system.
Dear Krellm7, I do not know if you've ever heard the XR-7 speakers accompanied by the MQ-107 Environmental Equalizer.
The sound is so rich and natural that I believe they still compete with far more expensive units today. My beef with McIntosh is the lack of service/support based upon my experiences. Admittedly Mac quality on speakers went down for many years and may still be down, I don't know. But they had some terrific units in the 70's and early 80's. Beautiful to look at too with rather timeless design and very high quality materials and workmanship overall.
BigJoe,
Thanks so much for your response. I will be contacting Michigan Sound very soon. Damn though, I really did like the sound eminating from the MC2300. Wish Mac could have done more (something ... anything) to help repair that unit.
John (Sit)