Why do no audio enthusiasts use McIntosh?

With the exception of some of there tube gear, not many really use this stuff(or admit to it anyway), I am mainly referring to there amps. They look pleasant, they look good on paper and have the price of high end gear, but I seldom hear anyone claiming to like or one day dreaming of owning McIntosh. I have never really listened to there stuff, no good word of mouth sort of scares me away from it, the only people who like it are those who sell it, an uncanny coincidence? I don’t know. Sorry it this has been covered many times in the past, I ran a search and could not find anything.
tireguy
If you are serious about changing to a tube amp, then you'll be much better off selling the Legacy speakers and buying tube friendly speakers (high sensitivity...95dB+, and flat impedance of 8 ohms or higher). It'll cost much less in the long run, and it will be a lot less hassle than bi-amping with tubes and solid state.

IMO.
A buddy of mine runs a pair of gigantic Bozak Concert Grands with four MC-30s and a couple of different Mac preamps, as well as a Mac CD changer (not sure of the model numbers). He also owns a bunch of other Mac stuff, including two MC-275s and who knows what else, but they're collector's pieces and not normally in use.

As weird as this combination sounds on paper, it actually sounds wonderful. Amazing bottom end coherence and consistency throughout the entire tonal range (I'm sorry, but there's nothing like the sound of eight 12" woofers); I always leave his place feeling jealous.

I believe people who categorically slam McIntosh gear either haven't heard it set up properly or are just ignorant.
I've a 47 y/o mc240 live in a share house with 2 others theres always someone dropping around and music is always going flat out.

Most of them have your average $1000/$2500 audio equipment and think they know a good sound.
Until they hear the 47 y/o mcintosh,comments like I can't believe its only a 40 watt amp Its so detailed are common. Sh!t I've lost count of how many people have been blown away by it.
As for reliability its only ever had the caps replaced.
Its very easy on tubes runs cool.
I own a Markhill 6L6 A 2 y/o runs very hot, eats tubes up like there gone out of fashion.(pun intended) .Its a nice sound for what it is but it hasn't got a patch on the mac.
A Mac MA6800 just rescued my B&W 805s from the brink of being sold. I have had a lower budget system of Yamaha NS-1000Xs and an old Luxman L-507 amp that I've been extremely proud of for many years. It sounds much better than many very expensive systems I've heard.

Last year I added B&W 805s to make it 4-channels, mainly because of my poor hearing on one side (While it loses imaging, 4 channels means if I turn my head it all still sounds good, whereas with 2 channels I'll only hear one speaker). The system has a nice synergy, with the B&Ws adding smoother highs to make-up for the Yamahas weaker point of the tweeters. For the past year, however, I've wanted to replace the B&Ws with something offering more punch and bigger, tighter bass.

To make a long (and on-going) story short, I suddenly on a whim splurged and bought Sonus Faber Guarneri Homages. They look SO NICE. Unfortunately, they sounded AWFUL run by my old Luxman L-507, a 50-60 Wpc SS amp from 1973. Urgent to give the Guarneris a fairer shot at impressing me, I read about and found quite a few people recommended them with the McIntosh MA6900. As the MA6800 cost just a bit over half of the 6900, but still provides 150 W/channel, I brought an MA6800 home to try with the Guarneris.

This told me a little more, but not everything, about the potential of the Guarneris, but in the process, it did something unexpected. On the suggestion of a visiting British audiophile friend, I happened plug my B&Ws in to the McIntosh with some really good jazz recordings, and GEEEZE! What a match!

Those B&Ws won't be leaving my house at any time soon now, nor will the MA6800.
Really, McIntosh has become some what of an installer brand sold at licensed low voltage and home automation dealers. Right next to alarms and vacuume cleaners. I don't know what this does to the brands image, but surely allot of gear is falling into the hands of people with more money than knowledge of either audio gear or music. They have never heard of Mac nor a Dorian mode. lolol They just want a home theater because they went to a dinner party at so n so's house that had a big home theater and now they are down at the home theater store getting a one-on-one meeting with a consultant to talk over thier needs.

It's also being sold at some fairly big box stores, but I guess you need to sell somewhere. You can't fault a company for trying to sell a product and with all the smaller stores crashing, one needs to go somewhere so maybe this is not bad in and off itself.

Also, Mac car audio gear can't really help in the eyes of true audiophiles. What's next, an alarm clock radio?

Really, the many times I have heard Mac, it was okay, but did not reach out and grab me in any way. I could take it or leave it. Nothing to die for. I think the autoformers that make the amps weigh a ton is what probably gives people the impression of over the top build- their noting but dead weight, why does no other SS amp use output transformers?