A good 2ch preamp?

OK....I've been a home-theater nut for 8 years...always buying mid to high-end home theater equipment....but it has always lacked something on 2 channel audio...well the wife said I could rebuild the basement and I'm thinking of a room dedicated to 2 channel audio...Its going to cost me quite abit in the remodel ...so I will be limited in funds....now I can buy a mid-priced preamp (300-500 dollars) or I can buy a used high-end preamp....in the same price range...but I have no clue where to start or what to buy...I've been looking at the pioneer elite preamps on ebay..(c-72,c-90,and the c-91)...are these decent preamps?....the amp I have is a yamaha m-80...and info or suggestions would be great...chris
knucklenutz
Knucklenutz, for that price you might try a Sony P9000ES multi-channel preamp. It is Sterophile Class A rated, multi-channel capable (in case you ever buy a multi-channel SACD player or DVD-A unit).

It really isn't bad - pretty clean sounding and priced (new) within your targeted range. Look for it online.
You might try a used Adcom GFP 750. I have one in my 2 channel system & it is quite good. You have the choice of balanced or single-ended (RCA) inputs & outputs and passive or active gain.
It is also remote controlled and probably good enough that you'll definitely upgrade your power amp before you'll need to replace the Adcom.
The only glaring limiting factor I've encountered is that the single ended inputs are close enough together that you can't use some premium interconnects with large RCA barrels-like Transparent.
You can find these used for $700-$900. Check and make sure the owner had no problems, there were quality control issues with some of these. I bought mine locally, just 4 months old, from someone going to a tube pre-amp.
You can check owners comments on this piece at www.audioreview.com

Good Luck!

Daniel
Go to the Bottlehead.com site and get a Foreplay kit (tubes). The DIY is great and very easy on this kit. Great sound and support.

If you do not want to venture into tubes with a do it yourself consider a used Rotel on this site. They are tough to beat for the price I see them go for here.

Good Luck
Ih the $300 to $500 price range, if you want a good new preamp that pretty much means one of the passives. The names escape me but quite a few have been recommended here and someone will chime in. The Adcom GFP750 mentioned above is out of your price range, but the earlier GFP565 sells for $275-300 and is not bad, pretty good match for your amp and also has a decent phono stage if you want that option. Another very good option is a used Anthem Pre1L (no phono) for $400. You'll need to buy 4 tubes, probably another $80-100. The Anthem may give you a more holographic three dimensional image, but will not be as quiet as the Adcom. Expect some tube noise and a little transformer hum (audible close up - not while listening to music).