Is McIntosh still a good choice?

When I was a teenager I was really into stereo equipment. I eventually bought a complete system and thus moved on to other interests in life. At the time McIntosh was highly respected. My grandfather owned several McIntosh pieces and I revered them with their blue glow. Now it's time for me to become an audiophile again and I'm upgrading my system. I still have reverence for Mac equipment and love it's industrial design. Is McIntosh still highly respected, or have they become passe? Should I still consider a Mac integrated amp? I'm also exploring an Arcam A85 integrated. I'll be driving a pair of Paradigm Studio/20s. Thanks!
No one has addressed your question about the Arcam A85 integrated. First, I would note that at $1500 (new list, available new for less, as memory serves) for an integrated, this is in a different price league than Mcintosh (a lot cheaper)! If you really have a Mcintosh budget and are interested in other brands of integrateds, you should probably be comparing to higher-level integrateds than the Arcam.

Higher-end integrateds that fare well in reviews here include Plinius, Bryston, and Classe. While more than the Arcam, I think these can be had less expensively than the McIntosh gear (I'm not up on Mac pricing). The NAD silver series includes a high-current integrated also. Although people say the Bryston (with 60WPC) sounds bigger than it's rated, I would look for a high-current integrated that offers at least 100WPC; this gives you some flexibility in speaker and room choices.

My own budget is more in the Arcam range! I had an Arcam A85 at home for several days, and compared it head-to-head with several sets of separates. I found it rather "thin". Too bad, I really wanted to like it. It has every feature you could want in an integrated (including available phono board, and full featured -- but confusing -- remote). It's nice-looking and compact. With efficient speakers in a small room (how I demoed it at the dealer), I think it would sound good. For less efficient speakers and/or larger room, I would look to a more powerful integrated, or to separates.

If cost isn't too much of a problem, and if you demo and really like the sound, you may want to go with the McIntosh just for emotional value. There's something to be said for equipment (as well as music) that brings back a warm feeling. That's probably the main reason I still listen to LPs. What the heck!

All the best,

Eric
I highly recommend the McIntosh amps, pre-amps and processors. I have been a mac owner for over 15 years and have upgraded when new designe are introduced. The MC 202 and MC 602 amps with autoformers are "tube like" without the heat and stable into almost any speaker. The 132 processor is being replaced by a newer 134 that has some excellent pre-intro press. The 6900 integrated did get excellent comments in Stereophile. Importantly, their service is EXCELLENT. They are always ready to help with problems and repairs, if ever required, are performed in a timely manner. If summary, I echo the comments of some of prior comments - AMPS, preamps and processors are still excellent and the support is outstanding. Finally, the best packaging for shipment in the industry.
I own the MC-300 and would take it over some of the reviewer's hype ss amps. I did prefer it to the Bel Canto Evo (sotr of on the cool side of neutral, weak bass) and CJ MF-2500 (simlar to the Mac in the midrange and treble but with less kick on the bottom and much smaller soundstage). All the newer ss Macs sound very smooth with nice, tube-like midrange and powerful bass.
There is a I believe new in the box Mcintosh 6900 integrated in an Ebay auction so go for it and you will not have to look back. Arcam - maybe decent - but not as musically satisfying and when your grandchild looks at your Mac years fron now he will think you really liked music enough to get the best and he will push to get it in the will. I own the 352, 2102, 7008, 77, 101, C42 , 6100, 80 , 6850 -- if you ever decide to part with it - it will bring in more than the Arcam in a dollar to dollar ratio for years to come!