Is McIntosh still a good choice?

When I was a teenager I was really into stereo equipment. I eventually bought a complete system and thus moved on to other interests in life. At the time McIntosh was highly respected. My grandfather owned several McIntosh pieces and I revered them with their blue glow. Now it's time for me to become an audiophile again and I'm upgrading my system. I still have reverence for Mac equipment and love it's industrial design. Is McIntosh still highly respected, or have they become passe? Should I still consider a Mac integrated amp? I'm also exploring an Arcam A85 integrated. I'll be driving a pair of Paradigm Studio/20s. Thanks!
There is a I believe new in the box Mcintosh 6900 integrated in an Ebay auction so go for it and you will not have to look back. Arcam - maybe decent - but not as musically satisfying and when your grandchild looks at your Mac years fron now he will think you really liked music enough to get the best and he will push to get it in the will. I own the 352, 2102, 7008, 77, 101, C42 , 6100, 80 , 6850 -- if you ever decide to part with it - it will bring in more than the Arcam in a dollar to dollar ratio for years to come!
I own the Mcintosh MA6450. I had "many" other amps over the years, many of which were & are fine pieces. However the Mac is my favorite.

The sound is great! I love the control features, the meters, the build quality, and the factory support.

You will pay more for the Mac, but it is worth every penny!

Happy Listening!
Bennett
Personally, i might look at Mac for tubed gear but definitely not SS power amps. I do not agree with their design philosophy of using output transformers for SS amps. There are as many or more technical reasons for NOT doing that as there are for doing it. My main consideration though is that i do not like the sound that they produce. Once again, that is a personal preference.

I think that Bob Bundus mentioned having some of the BIG Mac SS amps and not being too overwhelmed with them either. Let's see if he chimes in. Sean
>
Until you own a Mac SS and listen to it over a period of time particularly with the latest designs you may have a thing about the transformers - but one thing I have realized from many many years of owning them and Krell. Levinson, Electrocompaniet and others is the Mac brings music in better with a more natural presence and fatigue free over longer listening periods than many of these. Many amps claim a tube sound with their SS designs but Mac uses what it takes in SS to actually do so. Their tube amps have been what others have been trying to copy for years. Buy that 6900 or go even further with the 2102 and C42 combo and then just enjoy the music!