What is "critical listening"?

Is critical listening the art of finding nits on a bald head or a is it a hard fought for level of listening acumen and competence that prevents one from buying second rate equipment? If there is such a thing, does it enhance the listening experience or detract from it?

At what point is it safe or correct to self-anoint and wear the mantle of "critical listener"?
pbb
Great question, but are you trying to start trouble? Audiogonland is a much happier place when nobody raises any troublesome questions.

I'm not someone who critically listens to a component (or a system). It tends to distract from my enjoyment of music. It usually takes me several weeks to determine if a change I made to my system is positive/negative/nuetral. It comes about via long-term listening satifaction. Then again, I readily acknowledge that there exist music reproduction "artist" who can make these determinations quicker and more accurately than I can. I sometimes wonder if they enjoy listening to music as much as I do? They could, but then again...
Personally, I think anyone who pays attention and spends some time listening to the art of the reproduction is a critical listener. My wife, who doesn't care at all about equipment, listens critically and can tell when something doesn't sound right (I'm not a mind reader so cannot determine exactly what "right" is for her). Should this type of listening get in the way of pure musical enjoyement? Nope. I really enjoy music on my crappy car radio. But I love music on my home system -- it transports me.

There are probably levels of critical listening -- sort of like a second degree black belt compared to a fifth degree black belt. Heck, I don't know where I am along that path and I really don't much care. I know what does and doesn't sound right to me but have difficulty articulating it in the exact (?) language of the press. That knowledge and language does help focus my listening though. If I remember all my sociology, language is much of the basis of focus. Therefore, a speacialized language leads to a crisper focus. It helps me to read and share ideas because it leads me to a wider focus.

For me, critical listening is a means to an end. From time to time, I focus on and notice some of the shortfalls and try to correct for the ones I care most about. After that, I really just want to enjoy. I try to reproduce jazz most effectively, which introduces some compromises in other kinds of music and that's OK. It's never perfect so why worry so long as the glaring issues are subdued (of course, everyone has their own idea of what the most glaring issues are, but mine are the only ones that matter to me) and don't get in the way.

Good question.
Critical listening is what you do when you're trying to evaluate or decide between components. Listening is what you do the rest of the time. We've all been "critical listeners" since the day we started shopping for our first system. How much time you spend on "critical listening" vs. "just listening" is a personal decision. This being a hobby, there is no right answer.